Monuments of Moscow (30 objects in alphabetical order)
Fountain of Arts. The launch was timed to coincide with celebrating the 150th anniversary of the nearby Tretyakov Gallery. The authors of the project were sculptors Alexander Rukavishnikov and Philip Rukavishnikov. Marina Morina, Olga Zhiburtovich and Olga Alexandrova developed the architectural solution.
Fountain “The Friendship of Peoples”. VDNKh Park, Moscow. Created in 1954. The architect is K. Topuridze, the engineer is V. Klyavina, the sculptors are Z. Bazhenova, A. Teneta, I. Chaikov, Z. Ryleeva, V. Gavrilov.
Lobnoye Mesto is a medieval Russian architecture monument in Moscow on Red Square. It was presumably created in the 16th century, and until 1917 it was used for religious processions during Orthodox holidays and for the public announcement of royal decrees.
Monument to Bulat Okudzhava was installed at the corner of Arbat and Plotnikov lane (Moscow) in 2022. The monument was created by sculptor Georgy Frangulyan together with architects Igor Popov and Valentin Proshlyakov.
Monument to Alexander Ostrovsky – a monument was installed in Moscow on Teatralnaya Square in front of the Maly Theatre in 1929. Sculptor – Nikolai Andreev, architect – Fedor Shekhtel. The sculpture is made of bronze and sits on a granite pedestal. Alexander Nikolayevich Ostrovsky (1823 – 1886) was a Russian playwright, generally considered the greatest representative of the Russian realistic period.
Monument to Alexander Pushkin, the work of Alexander Mikhailovich Opekushin, was erected in Moscow on June 6 (18), 1880. The monument is made of bronze. It was initially installed at the beginning of Tverskoy Boulevard on Strastnaya Square (now Pushkinskaya).
Monument to Alexander Pushkin and Natalya Goncharova – a monument to the famous Russian poet Alexander Pushkin and his wife Natalya Goncharova. Installed in 1999 on the Arbat street opposite the house where they lived.
Monument to Alexander Suvorov – a sculpture in honor of the great Russian commander, Generalissimo Alexander Suvorov, on the square of the same name in Moscow.
Monument to Alexander Tvardovsky is installed next to the building that houses the editorial office of the Novy Mir magazine, in which he worked as editor-in-chief from 1950-1954 and 1958-1970.
Monument to Iosif Brodsky was erected in 2011 in Moscow on Novinsky Boulevard (Garden Ring). The authors of the monument are sculptor Georgy Frangulyan and architect Sergey Skuratov. The monument is a multi-figure composition mounted on a granite pedestal.
Monument to Kliment Timiryazev – a monument to the natural scientist and specialist in plant physiology Kliment Timiryazev. The monument was erected in 1923 in Moscow on Tverskoy Boulevard near Nikitsky Gate Square. The authors of the monument are sculptor Sergey Merkurov and architect Dmitry Osipov.
Monument to Le Corbusier is located in front of the Tsentrosoyuz building on Myasnitskaya Street. This is the only building erected by the architect in Moscow. The sculpture was unveiled on October 15, 2015. The authors of the monument: sculptor Andrey Tyrtyshnikov and architect Anton Voskresensky.
Monument to Mahatma Gandhi is installed at Lomonosovsky Prospekt near Indira Gandhi Square in Ramenki. It is a gift from the government and people of India to Moscow. The author of the monument was the Indian sculptor Gautam Pal, the pedestal for the monument was designed by architects V. V. Pasenko and I. P. Kruglov, and made by its designer V. E. Korey.
Monument to Maya Plisetskaya is the work of sculptor Viktor Mitroshin, installed in the center of Moscow, in Maya Plisetskaya Square, in 2015.
Monument to Minin and Pozharsky is a sculptural monument dedicated to the leaders of the Second People’s Militia of 1612, the end of the Time of Troubles, and the expulsion of Polish invaders from Russia.
Monument to Mikhail Kalashnikov – a monument by the sculptor Salavat Shcherbakov (or Chtcherbakov), dedicated to the creator of the Kalashnikov assault rifle, Mikhail Kalashnikov. It is in Oruzheyny Square at the intersection of Oruzheyny Lane and Dolgorukovskaya Street in Moscow in front of the multifunctional business complex Oruzheyny.
Monument to Nadezhda Krupskaya is located on Sretensky Boulevard in Moscow. It’s made as a standing female figure draped with fabric. Behind the figure are two 10-meter pylons on which the dates of life and quotes from her speeches are inscribed.
Monument to Peter the Great (official name is the Monument “To commemorate the 300th anniversary of the Russian fleet”) by Zurab Tsereteli was erected in 1997 by order of the Moscow Government on an artificial island, poured at the division of the Moscow River and the Vodootvodny Canal.
Monument to Valentina Grizodubova was erected in Moscow on Kutuzovsky Prospekt near house number 34. The nearest metro station to the monument is Kutuzovskaya. Located next to the Vega Radio Construction Institute. Previously, it was the Moscow Research Institute of Instrumentation. Valentina Stepanovna worked in this research institute for 38 years as a deputy head of flight tests. This is also evidenced by a memorial plaque, which was installed on the territory of the enterprise.
Monument to Vladimir Shukhov was installed at the end of Sretensky Boulevard in Moscow (facing Turgenevskaya Square) and opened on December 2, 2008. Vladimir Shukhov (1853 – 1939) – an outstanding Russian and Soviet engineer, architect, inventor and scientist, who entered the history of world architecture as an innovator, who was the first to use mesh steel shells for the construction of buildings and towers and created on their basis the world’s first hyperboloid structures.
Monument to Vladimir Mayakovsky (1893 – 1930), was erected in 1958 in Moscow on Mayakovsky Square (now Triumfalnaya Square). The authors of the monument are sculptor Alexander Kibalnikov and architect Dmitry Chechulin. The sculpture is an example of monumental art of federal significance.
Monument to Vladimir the Great is a monumental structure erected on Borovitskaya Square in Moscow at the initiative of the Russian Military Historical Society and the city government. The opening ceremony took place on November 4, 2016.
Monument to Vladimir Zworykin. The sculptural composition “V. Zworykin – the Inventor of Television” by sculptor Sergei Goryaev and architect Alexei Tikhonov was installed near the Ostankino pond next to the Ostankino television center in 2013.
Monument to Yuri Dolgoruky – a sculptural monument to the founder of Moscow, the first Suzdal prince (later also the Grand Duke of Kyiv). Installed in 1954 on Tverskaya Square (from 1918 to 1993, it was called Sovetskaya), opposite the building of the Moscow City Hall (in the Soviet era – the building of the Moscow City Council) on Tverskaya street.
Moscow Triumphal Gates is a triumphal arch in Moscow. They were first built in 1829-1834 according to the project of the architect O. I. Bove on Tverskaya Zastava Square in honor of the victory of the Russian people in the Patriotic War of 1812. Dismantled in 1936. A copy of the gate was built in 1966-1968 according to the project of V. Ya. Libson on Kutuzovsky Prospekt, now – Victory Square in the Poklonnaya Gora area.
Natalya and Alexander rotunda fountain was opened in memory of his wedding with N. N. Goncharova, who lived nearby, in a wooden mansion on the corner of Bolshaya Nikitskaya streets and Skaryatinsky Lane, Nikitsky Gate Square in Moscow (now the Embassy of Spain is in this place).
Sculpture “Diver” is a kind of navigation lighthouse made as a figure of a diver. Author: Leonid Tishkov based on the idea of Vera Mukhina. Material: bronze. Height: 3 meters. The sculpture was installed on May 5, 2016, in Moscow, Gorky Park.
Tsar Bell is a monument of Russian foundry art of the 18th century. The height with a locker is 6.24 m, the diameter is 6.6 m and the weight is 202 tons. It has never been used as intended. Empress Anna Ioannovna ordered the bell to be cast in 1730 in memory of the descendants of her reign.
Tsar Cannon is a nominal artillery gun of the Russian Tsardom (Empire), a monument of Russian foundry art of the New Age. A masterpiece of heavy fortress artillery of its time, the most significant work of Russian gunsmiths, and one of the largest guns in the world.
Worker and Kolkhoz Woman is a monument of monumental art, “an ideal and symbol of the Soviet era,” a recognized “standard of socialist realism.” It is a sculptural group of two figures, male and female, who are directed forward and raise a sickle and a hammer above their heads. The concept and compositional design belong to the architect Boris Iofan, and the author of the plastic embodiment is Vera Mukhina.