The State Tretyakov Gallery is a Moscow art museum founded in 1856 by merchant Pavel Tretyakov. In 1867 the gallery was opened to the public, and in 1892 it was transferred to the ownership of Moscow.
At the time of the transfer, the museum’s collection consisted of 1276 paintings, 471 drawings, and ten sculptures by Russian artists, as well as 84 paintings by foreign masters.
After the revolution of 1917, the gallery was nationalized, and the collection began to replenish from confiscated private collections and museums. In 1985, the State Art Gallery on Krymsky Val was merged with the Tretyakov Gallery. It formed the New Tretyakov Gallery together with the Central House of Artists. The building in Lavrushinsky Lane housed a collection of paintings from ancient times to the 1910s and in the department of Krymsky Val – the art of the 20th century.
As of 2018, the exposition consisted of more than 180,000 items and included paintings, sculptures and items made of precious metals from the 11th to the 20th century. The museum is in a building built in 1906 – an object of the cultural heritage of the peoples of Russia of federal significance and is protected by the state.
The museum conducts active exhibition activities.
Address: Russia, Moscow, Krymsky Val street, 10.
Open: Tue, Wed, Sun 10:00–17:00; Thu-Sat 10:00–20:00.
Nearest metro: Tretyakovskaya.