Triumfalnaya Square (in 1935-1992 – Mayakovsky Square) – a square in the Tverskoy district of the Central Administrative District of Moscow on the Garden Ring between Bolshaya Sadovaya, 1st and 2nd Brestskaya, 1st Tverskaya Yamskaya Street, Armory Lane, Sadovaya-Triumfalnaya and Tverskaya Streets.
Every Sunday of the month, the so-called “Mayakovsky’s readings” are held, according to the resurrected Soviet tradition (the first of these readings took place at the opening of the Mayakovsky monument).
In the late 1780s, by order of the Governor-General Jacob Bruce, a market was set up on it; however, the area was almost built up.
In 1805, the rampart was demolished, the ditch was filled in, and the square was established within its present borders. On its eastern side, across the Garden Ring, a two-story stone hotel was built for visitors; gradually, the area was built with stone houses. There was still a market on the square. On the current Aquarium Garden site, vegetable gardens and a pond of the Novodevichy Convent, which once adjoined the wall of Zemlyanoy Gorod, were preserved for a long time.
In the 1930s, the area was wholly asphalted. On the south side of the square, a multi-story residential building was built with the Mayakovskaya metro station and a concert hall named after Tchaikovsky.
In 1955, according to the project of D. Chechulin, the Peking Hotel was built, which became the architectural dominant of the square.
In 1958, a monument to V. V. Mayakovsky by A. P. Kibalnikov was erected in the center of the square, at which poetry readings immediately began to take place.
In June 1960, the first transport tunnel was laid under the square along the Garden Ring highway. The total width of the tunnel is 25.5 meters. It consists of two driveways of 10.5 meters each, two service sidewalks of 0.75 m each and a structural wall separating the driveways of 3 m.
Nearest metro: Mayakovskaya.
Buses m1, n1, 101, 904 stop at Triumfalnaya Square.