Lobnoye Mesto is a medieval Russian architecture monument in Moscow on Red Square. It was presumably created in the 16th century, and until 1917 it was used for religious processions during Orthodox holidays and for the public announcement of royal decrees. The expression “Lobnoye Mesto” is often used in the meaning of “scaffold.”
Lobnoye mesto is located opposite the Spasskaya Tower near the Pokrovsky Cathedral and is a round stone platform with a diameter of 13 m and a height of 1 m with a stone parapet. Initially, the place was built of brick in 1599; during the reign of Boris Godunov, it was rebuilt in stone and surrounded by a lattice.
In 1900-1901, Lobnoye mesto was restored, and the iron fence surrounding it was removed.
Until the revolution of 1917, Lobnoye Mesto remained a landmark area for Orthodox rites. First, religious processions, moving from the Spassky Gates, stopped at the site. Then, the bishop ascended to the Lobnoye Mesto to serve prayer and bless the parishioners.
Nearest metro stations: Okhotny Ryad, Teatralnaya, Revolution Square, Kitay-gorod.
Red square ensemble (full list):
See more monuments in Moscow