Monument to Minin and Pozharsky is a sculptural monument dedicated to the leaders of the Second People’s Militia of 1612, the end of the Time of Troubles, and the expulsion of Polish invaders from Russia. It is the first major sculptural monument in Moscow. The architect Ivan Martos designed it in 1818.
The monument is made in classicism, which is explained by the monumentality of forms and the smoothness of volumes. The monument consists of a bronze sculptural group and a granite pedestal with bronze bas-reliefs. The pedestal is decorated with bas-reliefs on both sides and the inscription: “GRATEFUL RUSSIA TO CITIZEN MININ AND PRINCE POZHARSKY. SUMMER 1818”.
The monument’s height (without a terrace) is approximately 8.3 m.
Initially, the monument was erected on Red Square before the Upper Trading Rows (GUM). Currently stands at the St. Basil’s Cathedral, where it was moved in 1931 in connection with the reconstruction of Red Square and the construction of the Mausoleum of V. Lenin.
Nearest metro stations: Okhotny Ryad, Teatralnaya, Revolution Square, Kitay-gorod.
Red square ensemble (full list):
See more monuments in Moscow