The bronze monument to pilot Valentina Grizodubova was erected in Moscow on Kutuzovsky Prospekt near house number 34. The nearest metro station to the monument is Kutuzovskaya. Located next to the Vega Radio Construction Concern. Previously, it was the Moscow Research Institute of Instrumentation. Valentina Stepanovna worked in this research institute for 38 years as a deputy head of flight tests. This is also evidenced by a memorial plaque, which was installed on the territory of the enterprise.
Authors of the monument: Sculptors Salavat Shcherbakov and Pyotr Vikulov, architect Valentin Kurbatov.
Opening of the monument: the monument was solemnly opened on September 1, 2000.
Valentina Stepanovna Grizodubova (1909-1993), a native of Kharkov, Soviet pilot, colonel (1943). Participant of one of the pre-war record flights. Participant of the Great Patriotic War. The first woman awarded the title of Hero of the Soviet Union (1938), Hero of Socialist Labor (1986). Deputy of the Supreme Soviet of the USSR of the 1st convocation.
The legendary pilot Valentina Grizodubova personally set five world records. In 1938, as a crew commander on the Rodina plane, together with Marina Raskova (navigator) and Polina Osipenko (co-pilot), they set a world record. The pilots flew non-stop from Moscow to the Far East, covering a distance of more than 6,000 km in 26 hours. It was an unprecedented record at the time!
During the Great Patriotic War, Valentina Stepanovna commanded a long-range men’s aviation regiment. The military pilots of the regiment under her command helped the partisans, bombed German cities. For services to the Motherland, Valentina Grizodubova was awarded two Orders of the Patriotic War of the first degree.
Main attractions and facilities around: Kiyevsky railway station, Europe Square, Savvinskaya Embankment, Rostovskaya embankment, Bogdan Khmelnitsky Bridge, Radisson Slavyanskaya hotel, Smolenskaya embankment, Borodinsky Bridge, COMECON building, Ukraina Hotel, Novoarbatsky bridge, White House, Krasnopresnenskaya embankment, Bagration Bridge, Moscow Theater “Workshop of P. N. Fomenko”.