Сycling in Andorra
Cycling in Andorra. Mountain cycling
Andorra is a popular stage for manifold international bicycle races , such as Tour de France, Vuelta a España, Volta a Catalunya, World Championships and manifold gatherings of mountain bike riders (MTB). Look here for the photos of the latest Tour de France stage in Andorra.
The amateurs of highway cycling may enjoy the landscapes, roads and mountain passes. Those, who prefer mountain bikes, may ascend together with their bicycles by cable lifts that function year-round and attend bicycle parks of Grandvalira and Vallnord or to ride over manifold landscapes of the country on their own. The 37th bike ride over Andorran Pyrenees took place here in 2014. Annually, this ride is attended by both professional sportsmen and hundreds of newcomers.
The total amount of cyclists, that attend the country from summer till autumn, is no less than the amount of skiing amateurs. In summer the biggest ski resort of Andorra—Grandvalira turns into the bike park. Oscar Saiz, a manager of Soldeu bike park, is a world-known sportsmen in such discipline as downhill MTB. Together with his team, he daily conducts trainings for both inexperienced MTB bikers and for professionals that have their exercises at Grandvalira slopes.
Soldeu (Grandvalira) bike park.
Dates: opening—closing 28.06—28.09
Working hours: from 10.00 till 18.00
|Children 3 — 5 years old||Children 6-12 years old||Adults||Retired people 65+|
|Half a day||Free||12 euro||16 euro||12 euro|
|1 day||Free||14 euro||24 euro||13 euro|
|2 days||Free||25 euro||36 euro||23 euro|
|3 days||Free||36 euro||55 euro||35 euro|
|4 days||Free||49 euro||73 euro||46 euro|
|5 days||Free||60 euro||91 euro||57 euro|
|3 rides (endure)||Free||12 euro||16 euro||12 euro|
|MTB seasonal subscription||115 euro||170 euro||115 euro|
|*MTB seasonal subscription (residents)||90 euro||120 euro||90 euro|
|** Andorra bike pass: 4 days||75 euro|
*Includes the access to Soldeu cable car (TC8 Soldeu), Solana (TSD6 Solana)
**Sold only in Soldeu booking offices. Valid for Soldeu and Vallnord parks for the only user without the right to give it to anyone else.
|Model||1 hour||2 hours||4 hours||1 day||2 days||3 days||4 days||5 days|
|XC (cross country)||10 euro||15 euro||20 euro||25 euro||45 euro||55 euro||70 euro||85 euro|
|DH||30 euro||35 euro||45 euro||60 euro||110 euro||160 euro||210 euro||260 euro|
|DH premium||35 euro||40 euro||50 euro||70 euro||125 euro||190 euro||245 euro||310 euro|
|1 hour (1-4 persons)||25 euro|
|2 hours (1-4 persons)||35 euro|
|Half a day—4 hours (1-4 persons)||59 euro|
|1 day (1-4 persons)||71 euro|
Vallnord bike park
Another ski resort of Andorra –Vallnord takes a new name for the summertime and is called Vallnord Bike Park. In case you attribute yourself to the amateurs of mountain bikes, then from April till September you have access to more than 40 km of summer tracks with the total altitude differences of more than 1000 meters and 17 schemes of different complexity grades. The cycle slopes are available thanks to 3 lifts, specially equipped in summer for the elevation of bicycles: gondola-lift in La Massana and 2 chair lifts in Serra and Cubil. The lift in Cubil takes the guests to the most complicated tracks with big altitude differences, suitable only for professionals.
There are also the tracks for enduro and cross-country in Vallnord.
In case you have never tried this breathtaking sport, then the resort may offer you the services of one of the most popular European schools of mountain bike.
Vallnord bike park has also got the slopes of different grades of technical complexity, including the official schemes of World championships that took place there in 2008 and 2009. The schemes include jump ramps, hills and humps as well as four lines for simultaneous descent of four cyclists. The scheme of work is also new: the track starts from Cubil peak (at the height of 2358m, the highest point of Bike Park)—with cable cars to the cognominal base. Vallnord Bike Park shelters the headquarters of such famous competitions as Cono Bici Festival and UCI MTC (DH and Cross-Country) world championships.
In La Massana one may rent mountain or cross-country bicycles. There are many models, including professional mountain bikes, produced by Andorran company Commencal. The park is located in Pal sector – it is really convenient to get from La Massana by cable way or by car (15 minutes).
The major bicycle routes
Bicycle rides—is a dynamic and reasonably extreme way to get acquainted with wonderful Andorran nature. The total length of cycle routes makes up more than 200 km, they go through 20 mountain masses, and the highest of them are located at the height of 2500 m above the sea level.
1. Gall path—the route of Saldeu sector (Grandvalira) in Canillo of 6,8km length. The average time of ride is 1 hour 50 minutes. The route with sharp ascents and descents. The level of complexity is high.
2. Cortals of Encamp—this is a route with sharp ascents and descents. It goes through Solanelles sector (Grandvalira). The length is 3 km, the average time of ride is 30 minutes. The level of complexity is high.
3. BTT XC3 Circuit a round-trip route that starts and ends up in Planell (Pal sector of Vallnord resort).It is known because it was used for MTB (mountain bike) World Championship. This route is ideal for both the amateurs of high level of qualification and the professionals that prefer high altitude exercises (the altitude of the route is 2000m above the sea level). The length of the track is 7km, the average time of the route varies from 40 to 60 minutes.
4. La Rabassa (from Sant Julia de Loria, Naturlandia to Negre peak) is considered to be one of the most difficult routes because of the angle of slope and altitude. Alongside with that, this route will present the views of incomparable beauty to those who manages it: Andorra and a part of the Pyrenees from Cardit peak (on the territory of France) up to the mountain hills in Aragon will spread before the eyes. The length of the track is 6,5km. The average time of ride is 1 hour 30 minutes.
5. Round-trip Engolasters route (Escaldes-Engordany) goes through cognominal mountain chain up to El Favar ring. This route is suitable for both MTB and ordinary bikes. The air is crystal clear and is filled with peace and quiet; the proximity to Engolasters Mountain Lake gives freshness even in summer. The length of the route is 1,4 km, the average time of ride is 20 minutes.
6. Round-trip Firebreaker route starts and finishes in La Camella (Andorra la Vella). A part of the route (about 2 km out of total 6,5km) goes through a stiff slope, the altitude differences make up 200m. The cyclists without high level of qualification are recommended to start their route the other way round; a difficult part of the route can be bypassed. The level of complexity is high.
bicycle, road bike, bike, mountain bike, cycle, cycling bikes, racing bike, road bicycles, touring bike, cycling bike, road cycling, cycling store, mountain bike accessories, bicycling, buy bike, cycling accessories, racing bicycles, cycle events, mountain cycling