Church of St. Nicholas, the Wonderworker of Bolvanovka, is an Orthodox church in the Tagansky district of Moscow, Taganskaya square, opposite the Taganka Theatre. It belongs to the Intercession Deanery of the Moscow Diocese of the Russian Orthodox Church, assigned to the Church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary in Gonchary.
An architectural monument of federal significance. Built in 1697-1712.
The main altar of the lower temple is consecrated in the name of Nicholas the Wonderworker; the upper temple is in the name of the apostles Peter and Paul.
The stone temple, which has survived to this day, was built under the guidance of the Moscow architect Osip Startsev. Startsev acted as a very conservative architect (it is assumed that his conservatism was due to disagreement with Peter’s reforms). He built the church in the traditional Moscow style – the so-called “Moscow Baroque,” but more archaic than his previous buildings. The Church of St. Nicholas on Bolvanovka is sometimes called the last medieval building in old Moscow.
Nearest metro: Taganskaya (circle line).