Taganskaya Square is a square on the Garden Ring, the center of the Tagansky district of the same name in the Central Administrative District of Moscow. It was formed in 1963 by merging the previously isolated Upper and Lower Tagansky squares, connected by the Tagansky passage (in the 19th century – Tagansky Market Street).
Taganskaya Square is one of the “seven hills” of Moscow, reaching a height of 145 meters.
Upper and Lower Taganskaya Squares have had these names since the 18th century, except for 1918-1922, when Upper Taganskaya Square was called Oktyabrskaya. The colloquial name Taganka is applied to the square and the surrounding area.
The square connects Zemlyanoy Val Street with the Bolshoy Krasnokholmsky Bridge. It is approached: from the inside of Upper and Lower Radishchevskaya Streets, Goncharnaya Street, and Goncharny Passage; from the outer street Alexander Solzhenitsyn, Taganskaya, Marxistskaya, Vorontsovskaya, Narodnaya Streets and Bolshie Kamenshchiki street.
Zemlyanoy Val, 76 – Taganka Theatre.
Nizhny Tagansky dead end, 3 – Museum of V. S. Vysotsky.
Verkhnyaya Radishchevskaya, 20 – Church of St. Nicholas the Wonderworker on Bolvanovka, XVII century, rebuilt by O. D. Startsev at the beginning of the XVIII century.
Goncharnaya, 29/7 – Church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary in Gonchary (1654), aisle (1702), bell tower (1790).
Taganskaya Square, 88, building 1 architectural monument (regional) – the city estate of V. F. Kolesnikov – Sargins – M. E. Shapatina, the end of the 18th – the beginning of the 20th century.
Metro station “Taganskaya” – Koltsevaya / radial /, “Marksistskaya”.
Buses pass through the square:
B, M7, M27, 51, 74, 106, 156, 255, 567, 901, T26, T27, T53, T63, H5, H7.