The Austerlitz viaduct is one of 37 bridges which crosses the Seine in Paris (France), built by the Société de construction de Levallois-Perret; it is used by the trains of line 5 of the Paris metro. It is listed as a historic monument by decree of June 12, 1986.
The Austerlitz viaduct connects the Gare d’Austerlitz station, located under the hall of the Austerlitz station, to the Quai de la Rapée viaduct, a curved engineering structure with a radius of 75 m and a 40 per thousand ramp allowing take the metro to Quai de la Rapée station.
The viaduct has been illuminated every night since January 18, 2000 during metro circulation hours, as part of the celebrations of the 100th anniversary of the Paris metro. The same year, the viaduct received the “Modern Heritage” prize as part of the “Lights and Monuments” competition.
Designed by the same architect responsible for the bridge near the Eiffel Tower Pont de Bir-Hakeim and the gardens below the Basilica of Sacré-Coeur; Jean-Camille Formigé chose marine themed motifs to embellish the steel bridge with fish feeding on seaweed, sea shells, nautical ropes and of course the Paris Coat of Arms.
Type of construction: arch bridge, suspended deck
Built: 1903 – 1904
Inauguration: December 1904
Engineers: Fulgence Bienvenüe, Louis Biette, Maurice Koechlin (French-Swiss engineer who worked within Constructions Métalliques)
Decorator: Jean Camille Formigé
Material: rolled mild steel
Main range: 140 m
Deck width: 8.60 m