In 1990, it was included in the list of objects of cultural heritage of Russia of regional significance, is under state protection.
Since 2005, the open drawbridge span has been one of the symbols of the Scarlet Sails alumni holiday.
The first floating bridge was built in 1803. In 1897-1903, according to the project of the French company Batignolles and with the participation of Russian engineers, a permanent metal bridge was built.
Until the construction of the Alexander Nevsky Bridge in 1965, it remained the longest in the city (582 m).
In 1965-1967 the draw span was rebuilt, in 2001-2003 the bridge was reconstructed.
The bridge connects Suvorovskaya Square in front of the Field of Mars and Troitskaya Square (Petrogradskaya Side).
Behind the bridge begins Kamennoostrovsky prospect. The northern part of the bridge is crossed by the Pulkovo meridian.