Blagoveshchensky Bridge (from 1855 to 1918 – Nikolaevsky Bridge, from 1918 to 2007 – Lieutenant Schmidt Bridge) is a road metal drawbridge across the Neva in St. Petersburg. It connects Vasilyevsky island and 2nd Admiralteysky Island.
The first permanent bridge across the Neva. To date, this is the only bridge on the Neva, the foundation of which is made of wooden piles.
In 1990, the railing, lanterns and pavilions of the bridge were included in the list of objects of cultural heritage of Russia of regional significance and are under state protection.
The first arch bridge was built in 1843-1850 according to the project of S. V. Kerbedz. In 1936-1939, according to the project of engineer G.P. Perederiy, the bridge was rebuilt into a beam, a draw span was placed above the middle of the river channel.
The architectural appearance of the beam bridge turned out to be unsuccessful and did not fit into the urban development of the city center.
In 2005-2007, a reconstruction was carried out, during which the historical appearance of the bridge was returned.
Upstream is the Palace Bridge, below is the bridge across the Ship Fairway (Neva Bay of the Gulf of Finland). In accordance with the current navigation conditions, the Blagoveshchensky Bridge is the “river-sea” border.
Before the bridge from the center, it is a river under the jurisdiction of the Volga-Baltic Waterway Administration, and after the bridge, the waterway is under the control of the Maritime Administration of the Port of St. Petersburg, where maritime rules of navigation apply, ships sail during the daytime, including ocean cruise liners.