Cathedral of the Vladimir Icon of the Mother of God (Vladimirsky Cathedral) is an Orthodox church in St. Petersburg, on Vladimirsky Prospekt. It belongs to the Central Deanery of the St. Petersburg Diocese of the Russian Orthodox Church.
The main throne is consecrated in honor of the Vladimir Icon of the Mother of God, one of the most revered icons in Russia.
Vladimirskaya Church was built on the Torgovaya Square in the period from 1761 to 1769, presumably according to the design of the architect Christian Knobel or according to the plan of the architect Pietro Trezzini on the site of the wooden church of the same name built in 1745-1747.
The church was consecrated on April 9, 1783.
In 1791, the architect Giacomo Quarenghi completed the construction of a two-tier free-standing bell tower.
The five-domed temple is an architectural monument of the transitional style from baroque to classicism, includes the upper (cold) Vladimir and lower (warm) St. John of Damascus churches.
The central dome is decorated with sculptures of the evangelists. The iconostasis of the 18th century, transferred in 1808 from the church of the Anichkov Palace, has been preserved in the upper church. The arches of the lower church were previously covered with magnificent paintings, which, like the iconostasis of the lower church, were lost in the middle of the 20th century.
In 1886, the domes of the cathedral were covered with gold, but in the 1930s the gilding was washed away and the domes were painted black. Since 2014, the gilding of the domes of the cathedral and the bell tower has been carried out, which was completed in 2019.
Nearest metro station: Vladimirskaya, Dostoevskaya. How to get there: from the metro station “Vladimirskaya” turn right and there will be Vladimirsky Prospekt. From the metro station “Dostoevskaya” walk 10 minutes.
Working hours: Mon-Fri 08:00–20:00; Sat, Sun 06:00–20:00
Address: Vladimirsky prospekt, 20, St. Petersburg