House number 14 on Tverskaya Street in Moscow (known as the house of E. I. Kozitskaya or Eliseevsky grocery store) is a monument of the history and culture of Moscow in the 18th century; it houses the famous grocery store “Eliseevsky,” as well as the State Museum – the cultural center “Integration” named after N.A. Ostrovsky.
House No. 14 on Tverskaya Street was built on the corner of Tverskaya Street and the lane, which was then called Sergievsky, in the late 80s of the 18th century, according to the project of architect Matvey Fyodorovich Kazakov. The new house of Kozitskaya embodied all the perfection and harmony of classicist architecture.
In 1898, the St. Petersburg millionaire merchant Grigory Grigoryevich Eliseev acquired the house to make a shopping store inside.
Opened in 1901, the Eliseevsky grocery store immediately became the center of public attention for its luxurious interiors, exotic food products and rare wines.
Since the 1920s, it has been called Gastronome No. 1. In Soviet times, it was considered the most famous grocery store in the USSR, both for its location and for its uncharacteristically wide product range. In the last years of the war, it became one of the rare grocery stores with a commercial department. In the early 1980s, the so-called “Eliseevsky case” was connected with the grocery store. Consequently, a group of its employees was accused of corruption, and a court verdict shot director Sokolov.
In 1992, the grocery store was privatized, the shares were transferred to the labor collective, and, despite the low commercial results, it retained its profile, unlike most grocery stores in the center of Moscow. In 2002, the shares of the labor collective were bought up by the structures of the entrepreneur Yakubov, and the new owner subleased part of the premises. In 2003, the remaining portion of the area was restored and reformatted into a supermarket. From 2005-2021, the retail operator of the store was the Scarlet Sails retail chain.
As of 2015, the retail space of the grocery store was 820 m², the store premises, owned by the city and burdened with lease agreements with a trading enterprise, are being prepared by the Moscow Government for free sale. The store has been closed indefinitely since April 2021.