Church of Peter and Paul at the Yauza Gates

The Church of Peter and Paul at the Yauza Gates (on Kulishki) is an Orthodox church in the Tagansky district of Moscow. It is part of the Intercession Deanery of the Moscow Diocese of the Russian Orthodox Church. Metochion of the Patriarch of Moscow and All Rus’; Compound of the Serbian Orthodox Church.

The current temple was built in 1700-1702 with the blessing of Patriarch Adrian. The main altar of the new temple was consecrated in honor of the Icon of the Mother of God, “The Sign.” The old throne of the apostles Peter and Paul was placed on the north side in a warm winter chapel.

The church was built in the Moscow baroque style. In 1731, in the southern part of the warm temple, a chapel was built in honor of the Kazan Icon of the Mother of God. From that time, the temple became a three-altar. According to the project of the architect Alexander Popov, in 1876, the southern aisle of the temple was expanded; consecrated on November 24, 1878, by Bishop Ambrose of Dmitrovsky (Klyucharev).

In 1748, the temple was severely damaged by fire but quickly restored at parishioners’ expense. In 1771 a new three-tiered bell tower was built.

Compound of the Serbian Orthodox Church

In 1874, by the highest command, the Serbs were granted the Church of Saints Cyrus and John on Solyanka and the buildings next to it under the courtyard. However, in 1918 the courtyard was liquidated by the Soviet authorities, and the church was destroyed in 1933.

In 1999, according to the decree of Patriarch Alexy II, the Church of the Holy Apostles Peter and Paul was transformed into a patriarchal residence, under which the representation of the Serbian Orthodox Church was reopened.

Working hours: daily, 08:00–20:00.

Address: Petropavlovsky pereulok, 4-6s8, Moscow.

Nearest metro: Kitay-gorod, Chkalovskaya.

See also architecture of Moscowchurches and cathedrals of Moscow

Read more: Tourism in Russia ...