The building of the Twelve Colleges is a building on the University embankment of Vasilevsky Island in St. Petersburg, built in 1722-1742 to accommodate Peter’s collegiums. The largest monument of the Petrine Baroque in size consists of twelve identical three-story sections.
The overall project was made by Domenico Trezzini; the upper floors were designed by Theodor Schwertfeger. In the 18th century, the building was occupied by the highest bodies of state administration. After the collegiums were disbanded, they were replaced by the Main Pedagogical Institute and St. Petersburg University.
The 12 collegiums are 12 associations, representing a transitional form from Moscow orders to modern ministries. In particular, among them were the “Collegium of Foreign Affairs”, “Manufactory Collegium”, “Military Collegium”, “Admiralty Collegium”, “Justice Collegium”, “Commercial Collegium”, “Berg Collegium”, “States offices Сollegium”, “Chamber Сollegium”, “Revision Collegium”, “Vectoral Collegium”, “Chief magistrate”.
In post-Soviet times, the building of the Twelve Colleges is considered the main building of St. Petersburg University. Until now, some faculties of this educational institution are located there. It also houses the university’s scientific library and some administrative services.
Address: Mendeleevskaya line, 2. Nearest metro: Vasileostrovskaya station.