University (Universitetskaya) embankment is the embankment of the Bolshaya Neva in St. Petersburg, on Vasilyevsky Island, which runs from Birzhevaya Square to Trezzini Square and the 6th line.
The construction of the embankment began to take shape one of the first in the city in connection with the plans of Peter the Great to arrange the administrative center of St. Petersburg in this place.
In 1710, the construction of the first stone building in St. Petersburg, the palace of A. D. Menshikov, began. In the first half of the 18th century, the palace of Empress Praskovya Feodorovna (on the site of house No. 1), the wooden building of the Church of the Resurrection of Christ with a high bell tower, the buildings of the Kunstkamera and the Twelve Colleges, as well as the house of the architect D. A. Trezzini were also built here. The remaining sections downstream of the Neva were occupied by ordinary residential buildings.
The modern name Universitetskaya embankment was given on April 16, 1887 after St. Petersburg State University, which was established in 1819 and then partly housed in the building of the Twelve Colleges.
The numbering of houses is odd throughout the embankment.
Research Museum of the Russian Academy of Arts
How to get to?
Nearest metro station: Vasileostrovskaya.