Moskovsky Prospekt (Avenue) is one of the main street in St. Petersburg, the fourth longest thoroughfare of the city (after Sofiyskaya Street, Obukhovskaya Oborona Ave. and Engels Ave.).
It connects Sennaya Square in the city center with Victory Square on its southern outskirts. According to the distance between the centers of these squares, the length of the avenue is 9.3 kilometers.
Moskovsky Prospekt and the Pulkovskoye Highway continuing it to the south represent an almost straight single line that visually connects the spire of the Peter and Paul Fortress and the rotunda of the main building of the Pulkovo Observatory, where the longitude of the Pulkovo meridian is fixed – the starting point of the coordinate system on Russian maps from 1844 to the early 1920s.
Among the largest through intersections of the avenue when moving south: Fontanka, Zagorodny avenue and the 1st Krasnoarmeyskaya street continuing it, Obvodny Canal, Ligovsky avenue and Blagodatnaya street.
Counting the stations located on Sennaya Square, ten metro stations belonging to four lines stand on Moskovsky Prospekt – a record for St. Petersburg.
The current Moskovsky Prospect was born at the end of the 18th century, as a road leading to Tsarskoe Selo. In the 1770s, milestones were erected along the road, some of which have survived to this day.