The Castillo del Príncipe (officially called Castelo do Príncipe) is a fortress built in the 18th century, located in the parish of Ameijenda. It was declared an Asset of Cultural Interest in 1994. It gives its name to the village of Castelo do Príncipe.
The fortress began to be built in 1740 together with the Castelo do Cardeal (Castle of the Cardinal in Spanish), located on the other side of the Corcubión estuary. The engineer in charge of the work was Francisco Llobet, being replaced by Carlos Lemaur (of French origin, something very common in the reign of the Bourbons) in 1744, the year in which the definitive work began. The works finished in 1755. The name of the Prince was given in honor of the son of Carlos III of Spain, the future King Carlos IV.
The strategic role of the Costa da Morte was losing relevance during the 19th century, so that at the end of the 19th century the castle, like the many other fortresses, ceased to belong to the State after public auction. The first owner was the Finisterran businessman, banker and politician, who died in Corcubión, Plácido Castro Rivas, who also bought the Castillo de San Carlos de Finisterre in 1892.
Praia da Concha is the main city beach.
How to get to?
From A Coruña 1 hr 10 min (94.7 km) via AG-55 and AC-552
From Santiago de Compostela 1 hr 7 min (71.9 km) via AC-441
From Madrid 6 hr 49 min (669 km) via A-6 and A-52
Area: 57 km² (municipality)
Coordinates: 42°57′20″N 9°11′24″W
Languages: Spanish, Galician
Time: Central European UTC +1
See here best sea and ocean resorts of France and Spain (223 objects)