Villeneuve-lès-Avignon or Villeneuve-lez-Avignon is a commune located in the east of the Gard department, in the Occitania region (France). The city borders Avignon (Vaucluse department, Provence-Alpes-Côte d’Azur region) and is part of Greater Avignon.

Exposed to a Mediterranean climate, it is drained by the Rhône, the Villeneuve arm and by another river. The town has a remarkable natural heritage: a Natura 2000 site (“the Rhône aval”) and three natural areas of ecological, fauna and flora interest.

Villeneuve-lès-Avignon is an urban commune which has 12,617 inhabitants, after having experienced a sharp increase in population since 1962. It is in the Avignon conurbation and is part of the Avignon catchment area. Its inhabitants are called Villeneuvois or Villeneuvoises.

In the 6th century the Benedictine abbey of St André was founded on Mount Andaon, and the village which grew up round it took its name. The city itself was founded by Philippe le Bel and boasts a castle he built, Fort Saint-André.

The town was also the resort of the French cardinals during the sojourn of the popes at Avignon, in the 14th century.

Tourism and main attractions

  • The Notre-Dame-du-Val-de-Bénédiction chartreuse. The Notre-Dame collegiate church was consecrated in 1333 (14th century) by Pope John XXII. It was completed by the belfry bell tower in 1362. The building was classified as a historic monument in 1862. Many objects are referenced in the Palissy database.

  • Sainte-Thérèse Church (impasse Marie Viroulet).
  • Fort Saint-André and the old Benedictine Abbey of Saint-André.

  • The Philippe-le-Bel tower.
  • The Pierre-de-Luxembourg museum which houses The Coronation of the Virgin by Enguerrand Quarton.

  • The chapel of the Gray Penitents. The building was classified as a historic monument in 1934.
  • Sainte-Casarie Chapel of Fort Saint-André.

  • Hospice Chapel (rue de l’Hôpital).
  • Notre-Dame-de-Consolation Chapel (Mourgues Hill).
  • Notre-Dame-des-Sept-Douleurs Chapel (rue Pierre Semard).

  • Saint-Pons Church, current media library (Place Saint-Pons).
  • Chapel (Boulevard Calmette).
  • Former cardinal livery of Arnaud de Via. The building was classified as a historic monument in 2002.

Shortest distances by car

From Paris: 7 hr 3 min (689 km) via A6 and A7

From Toulouse: 3 hr 19 min (330 km) via A61 and A9

From Marseille: 1 hr 13 min (104 km) via A7

From Nice: 2 hr 47 min (263 km) via A8

From Monaco: 3 hr 4 min (286 km) via A8

From Andorra: 5 hr 6 min (457 km) via A61 and A9

From Madrid: 10 hr 14 min (1,035 km) via A-2

From Moscow: 35 hr (3,199 km) via E30/M1

From Belgrade: 16 hr 31 min (1,592 km) via E70

From Istanbul: 27 hr (2,540 km) via E70

From Bern: 5 hr 17 min (532 km) via A1

Main information

Area: 18 km2

Population: 12,617

Coordinates: 43°58′02″N 4°47′48″E

Language: French

Currency: Euro

Visa: Schengen

Time: Central European UTC +1

See here France travel guide

See here Spain travel guide

See here Pyrenees travel guide

See here Andorra travel guide

Read more: The cities of the Pyrenees and around with Andrew Morato ...