The French electric locomotive E1 « boîtes à sel » (PO), future BB 1283 (SNCF).
The SNCF BB 1280 class were a class of 600 V DC 4 axle Bo′Bo′ electric locomotives, formerly Compagnie du chemin de fer de Paris à Orléans machines (originally PO E.1 to E.13), initially built for an underground section of line connecting the Gare d’Austerlitz to the Quai d’Orsay in inner Paris. The locomotives were converted for 1500 V DC use in the 1930s, and renumbered PO E.281 to E.293. They were absorbed by the SNCF, and operated as shunters until the late 1960s.
E.1 to E.8: 1900-1904
E.9 to E.13: 1905-1912
Total produced 13
Maximum speed: 70 km/h
One unit, numbered E.1 is preserved at the main French railways museum in Mulhouse.