Oropesa del Mar is a municipality in the Valencian Community, Spain. Located on the coast of the province of Castellón, in the Plana Alta region.
It’s a popular part of the Costa del Azahar of the Mediterranean resorts of Spain.
Tourism and main attractions
- Orpesa La Vella. Iberian town with more than 2000 years history. It was made up of a small population that lived, mainly from fishing. It is located between the coves of Orpesa la Vella and del Retor, a few meters from the marina;
- Virgin of Patience Church;
- Oropesa Castle of Muslim origin. Located at the top of the Old Town, it dominated the city;
- King’s Tower (Torre del Rei) built in the 16th century. It was built for defense against pirate attacks;
- Old Town. Old town with medieval narrow and steep streets. This is a city of antique dealers;
- Bullring. Built in the 1980s and renovated several times. Folk festivals are still held here today;
- Torre de la Corda and Torre de la Colomera. These are coastal defensive towers from the 16th century, located near the Renega beach.
- La Renega and Playetas de Bellver. Rocks and coves surrounded by pine trees. Typical Mediterranean vegetation.
- La Concha beach awarded with a blue flag. Located south of the beaches of Les Amplaries and Morro de Gos.
- Les Amplaris and Morro de Gos beaches. White sand. Awarded with the blue flag.
The weekly market is held: every Thursday (Plaza de Toros).
There are no Michelin list restaurants in the city.
From Castellón de la Plana 27 min (24.8 km) via N-340
From Valencia 1 hr 4 min (98.2 km) via AP-7
From Barcelona 2 hr 37 min (258 km) via AP-7
From Madrid 4 hr 26 min (445 km) via A-3
The nearest international airport is in Valencia.
The small Castellón Airport offers charter and general aviation services, as well as scheduled passenger services to London, Bucharest and Poznań. The new Castellón-Costa Azahar Airport, designed to serve major international flights, was opened in 2011.
Area: 26,4 sq. km (municipality)
Coordinates: 40°05′32″N 0°08′02″W
Population: 9 340 (municipality)
Languages: Spanish, Valencian
Time: Central European UTC +1
See here best sea and ocean resorts of France and Spain (223 objects)