The Musée national Eugène Delacroix (English: National Eugène Delacroix Museum), also known as the Musée Delacroix, is an art museum dedicated to painter Eugène Delacroix (1798–1863) and located in the 6th arrondissement at 6, rue de Furstenberg, Paris (France).

The museum is located in painter Eugène Delacroix’s last apartment; he moved to this location on December 28, 1857, and remained until his death on August 13, 1863. In 1929, the Société des Amis d’Eugène Delacroix was formed to prevent the building’s destruction; in 1952, the Société acquired the apartment, studio, and garden, and in 1954 donated the property to the French government. In 1971, the site became a national museum, and in 1999 its garden was renovated. Léon Printemps had his studio in this same building, where he died on 9 July 1945. Since 2004 the museum has been managed by the Louvre.

Today the museum contains Delacroix’s memorabilia and works, exhibiting pictures from nearly every phase of his career, including the artist’s only three attempts at fresco from Valmont (1834); the Education of the Virgin painted in Nohant in 1842; and Magdalene in the Desert exhibited at the 1845 Salon.

The museum is closed for renovation work from September 19, 2023 to March 19, 2024.
Reopening on March 20, 2024 with a new exhibition entitled “Ingres and Delacroix, Objects of Artists”
– Night opening until 9 p.m. on the first Thursday of the month
(Last entry 15 minutes before closure)
Closed on January 1, May 1 and December 25.

See more:

20 arrondissements of Paris

Architecture of Paris

Museums of Paris

Entertainment in Paris

Bridges in Paris

Parks in Paris

Streets and squares in Paris

Shopping in Paris

Transport in Paris

Read more: Interesting places in the Pyrenees and around with Jane Cautch ...