Maserati A6 1500. Red version from Malaga Museum. Made in Italy in 1950, V6, 75 hp, 1.500 cc.
Maserati A6 were a series of grand tourers, racing sports cars and single seaters made by Maserati of Italy between 1947 and 1956. They were named for Alfieri Maserati (one of the Maserati brothers, founders of Maserati) and for their straight-six engine.
The 1.5-litre straight-six was named A6 TR (Testa Riportata for its detachable cylinder head), and was based on the pre-war Maserati 6CM and produced 65 hp (48 kW). It first appeared in the A6 Sport or Tipo 6CS/46, a barchetta prototype, developed by Ernesto Maserati and Alberto Massimino.
This became the A6 1500 Pinin Farina-designed two-door berlinetta, first shown at the 1947 Salon International de l’Auto in Geneva (59 made) and the spider shown at the 1948 Salone dell’automobile di Torino (2 made).
A 2-litre, 120-horsepower straight-six was used in the A6 GCS two-seater, “G” denoting Ghisa, cast iron block, and “CS” denoting Corsa Sport. Also called Monofaro (“single headlamp”), the 580 kg single-seater and cycle-winged racing version first appeared at Modena 1947 by Luigi Villoresi and Alberto Ascari, and won the 1948 Italian Championship by Giovanni Bracco.
Fifteen cars were made 1947-1953, of these being two-seaters (630 kg).
The A6G were a series of two-door coupés and spyders for street, rather than competition use.
These were bodied by Pinin Farina, Pietro Frua, Ghia, Bertone, Carrozzeria Allemano, Zagato, and Vignale. These have cast iron engine blocks. The Maserati A6 was typically fitted with 16-inch Borrani Wheels and Pirelli Stella Bianca Tyres.