Boulevard des Invalides in Paris

Boulevard des Invalides is a street in the 7th arrondissement of in Paris (France).

1,245 meters long, the boulevard begins at 127, rue de Grenelle and ends at Place Léon-Paul-Fargue and Rue de Sèvres.

The construction started around 1720, its development was completed in the early 1760s with the entire Boulevard du Midi connecting the Esplanade des Invalides to the current Place Valhubert near Salpêtrière. Until the middle of the 19th century, Boulevard des Invalides was very quiet.

Main sights

No. 6: the Hôtel des Invalides.

No. 8: the poet Leconte de Lisle lived at this address from 1861, on the 5th floor. There he held a literary salon frequented by the Parnassians.

Saint-François-Xavier church at the intersection with Pl. du Président Mithouard.

No. 13: the diplomat Philippe Berthelot lived at this address from 1927, in a private mansion that he had built (now destroyed).

No. 14: seat, in 1923, of the apostolic nunciature in France.

No. 30: Foundation for the memory of the deportation and Foundation of the Resistance.

No. 31-33: Henri-Matisse academy and the workshops of several artists.

No. 33: Victor-Duruy high school.

No. 34: General Niessel resided there from 1921 to 1955. A plaque pays tribute to him.

No. 35: modern building built on the site of the old hotel of Verteillac or Rohan, where the Princess of Léon, mentioned by Marcel Proust, lived at the beginning of the 20th century.

No. 36: building built in 1887 by the architect Charles Mewès. The Carnavalet museum preserves an exterior view dated 1918, as well as a photograph of the dining room in 1920.

No. 45: garden of the Hôtel de Montesquiou, rue Monsieur.

No. 49 (and 22, rue Oudinot): Brongniart, the architect of the Paris Stock Exchange, built his private mansion there, the Brongniart house.

No. 56, rue Duroc, rue de Sèvres, rue Maurice-de-La-Sizeranne: National Institute for Young Blind People. Created in 1784 by Valentin Haüy, the institution was established in 1843 in this specially constructed building on Boulevard des Invalides, in execution of the law of July 18, 1838 passed at the instigation of the director, Doctor Pignier.

No. 57: Ministry of Overseas Territories (Hôtel de Montmorin).

See more:

20 arrondissements of Paris

Architecture of Paris

Museums of Paris

Entertainment in Paris

Bridges in Paris

Parks in Paris

Streets and squares in Paris

Shopping in Paris

Transport in Paris

Read more: Interesting places in the Pyrenees and around with Jane Cautch ...