Saint-Michel de Frigolet Abbey is an abbey of Premonstratensian canons, located near Tarascon in the interior of Montagnette, in the Bouches-du-Rhône department (Provence-Alpes-Côte d’Azur region, France).

Isolated in a wild valley among pines, olive trees and cypresses, it takes its name from ferigoulo, thyme in the Provençal language. The abbey welcomes a community of Premonstratensians and has two monastic hostels, a bookstore and a restaurant.

The monastery, dedicated to Saint Michael, was founded about 960 at Frigolet by Conrad I of Burgundy on one of the numerous hills which lie between Tarascon and Avignon. It was initially occupied by Benedictine monks from Montmajour Abbey.

By the 12th century, the abbey was home to a community of Canons regular. A document from 1133 lists the prior of the canons as Guillaume of Loubières. The chapel of Our Lady of Good Remedy dates from this period. The canonical Augustinian community lasted until 1480, when the canons petitioned the Holy See to suppress the monastery. This request was granted by Pope Sixtus IV, at which time the monastery was abandoned. The chapel, however, remained a popular pilgrimage site.

In 1647, the Order of Saint Jerome were given possession of the derelict monastery. They worked to restore it, at the same time expanding the complex, enlarging the choir and sacristy, and erecting a chapter house. The community did not stay long, however, and were replaced in 1661 by the Discalced Augustinians. The friars of this order continued the work of the Hieronymites, but also did pastoral care in the surrounding region, providing support to the local clergy.

At the time of the French Revolution, it was suppressed and sold by the French First Republic.


The Saint-Michel church, Romanesque, dates from the 12th century; much restored in the 19th century, it was extended by one bay to the west. The Romanesque structure of the 12th century chapel, Notre-Dame-du-Bon-Remède, is hidden under a Baroque decoration of woodwork and 17th century paintings.

The basilica of the Immaculée-Conception, in neo-Gothic style, was consecrated in 1866. The interior of the large nave is entirely covered with oil murals by Antoine Sublet based on the model of the Sainte-Chapelle in Paris. The pure Romanesque cloister dates from the 12th century, it was remodeled in the 17th century.

The abbey was classified as a historic monument for the first time by a decree of November 25, 1921 relating to the cloister and the chapel; it was then registered by a decree of March 13, 1995 relating to the facades and roofs of the buildings, the surrounding walls, the turrets, the cistern, the Saint-Michel chapel, the rooms located around the cloister (chapter room, parlor, refectory , sacristy) and the abbey church.

Address: Mnt de Frigolet, 13150 Tarascon, France

Working hours

7 AM–7 PM

7 AM–7 PM

7 AM–7 PM

7 AM–7 PM

7 AM–7 PM

7 AM–7 PM

7 AM–7 PM

Shortest distances by car

From Paris: 7 hr 6 min (704 km) via A6 and A7

From Marseille: 1 hr 21 min (104 km) via A7

From Nice: 2 hr 54 min (263 km) via A8

From Monaco: 3 hr 6 min (285 km) via A8

From Andorra: 5 hr 14 min (462 km) via A61 and A9

From Madrid: 10 hr 34 min (1,042 km) via A-2

From Moscow: 35 hr (3,214 km) via E30/M1

From Belgrade: 16 hr 51 min (1,592 km) via E70

From Istanbul: 27 hr (2,549 km) via E80

From Bern: 5 hr 30 min (547 km) via A1

See here France travel guide

See here Spain travel guide

See here Pyrenees travel guide

See here Andorra travel guide

Read more: Interesting places in the Pyrenees and around with Jane Cautch ...