La Higuera de Vargas, originally La Higuera, is a municipality, belonging to the province of Badajoz (autonomous community of Extremadura, Spain).
Tourism and main attractions
El Castillo del Coso, donated by Alfonso IX to the Templars, dating from the 13th century. Its recent acquisition by the municipal corporation from the del Pozo family has made it possible to carry out important reforms.
The Catholic parish Church dedicated to La Purísima Concepción, in the Archdiocese of Mérida-Badajoz. Building in the Oliventino Gothic style.
The hermitage Sanctuary of Our Lady of Loreto, of a rosemary character, whose fame in the town is preceded by its nearby springs.
The house on Calle del Espíritu Santo, a house of a certain age, which has been converted into a hermitage, where a pictorial image of the Holy Spirit is venerated.
Around the municipality, in its western part, meanders the Alcarrache river, declared in this section Ecological and Biodiversity Corridor, where some protected species of Iberian fauna and flora can be seen.
The La Benéfica Civil Society, an institution with great history, dates back to 1871, and was created after the civil and ecclesiastical confiscations of the 19th century. The land is also used collectively to grow cereals, acorns that are collected by hand and the firewood from the pruning of the holm oaks and cork oaks that populate its abundant pastures.
How to get to?
From Badajoz 54 min (58.4 km) via EX-107
From Olivenza 29 min (33.1 km) via EX-107 and EX-312
From Merida 1 hr 12 min (105 km) via A-5 and N-435
From Madrid 4 hr 25 min (444 km) via A-5
Area: 67 sq. km (municipality)
Coordinates: 38°26′46″N 6°58′26″W
Population: 1 925
Time: Central European UTC +1