Tapia (Sp. Tapia de Casariego) is a municipality in the Autonomous Community of the Principality of Asturias, Spain. It is bordered on the north by the Cantabrian Sea, on the east by El Franco, on the south and west by Castropol.
The city is a popular part of the Costa Verde of the Atlantic resorts of Spain.
Tourism and main attractions
Within the religious architecture in the council we have the parochial church of Tapia founded in 1898 is of neo-Gothic style and replaced one of the eighteenth century. It has a floor plan in the shape of a Latin cross and three naves covered with ribbed vaults, the central one standing out for its height. On the façade, the closed portico, the bell tower and the image of the Sacred Heart stand out.
In addition to this building we have other churches such as those of Serantes and Campos-Salave, both structured in a single nave, with bell towers at the foot and beautiful baroque altarpieces. Also noteworthy are the chapels of San Blas, San Sebastián, and the Sanctuary of Santa María del Monte in La Roda.
From its civil and popular architecture we will highlight various “palaces” (mansions) such as the Palacio de Campos with a central patio.
Another important palace is that of Cancio, in Casariego, a mixture of elements from different periods and styles, but its primitive structure dates from the 14th century. It is surrounded by a high wall in which there is a portal with a semicircular arch accompanied by towers on its sides.
The chapel is the most current part, being rebuilt in 1836. Gonzalo Méndez de Cancio was born here, captain general of the Florida province and forerunner of the cultivation of corn in Europe in the seventeenth century, sowing the first seeds in the extensive lands he owned in front of the palace.
The most stately of all the “palaces” was that of Villaamil, located in the homonymous place of the parish of Serantes. This was the house of the Villaamil lords, who dominated the entire region in the Middle Ages. The Villaamil asylum occupies the site today.
Also in Serantes is the Palace of Las Noguieras, an old emblazoned mansion prior to the 15th century, although its current structure is probably from the 18th century. The building consists of a chapel and is structured around a central courtyard closed by an imposing wall in its southern part where the main entrance is located.
The Plaza de la Constitución forms a beautiful architectural complex with the Town Hall, the Institute and the Schools, built between 1860 and 1864. The three buildings have a rectangular plan and two-story façade.
Other important buildings are those of the Yánez de Villaamil family or the Magdalena house in Campos.
There are at least 10 popular beaches, but first to mention is the declaration of a Monument of nature to Peñarronda beach on the border with Castropol by the PORNA (Plan for the Management of Natural Resources of Asturias), contemplating in it a set of dunes that together with the vegetation of the place forms a beautiful landscape, famous outside Spain.
How to get to?
From Oviedo 1 hr 21 min (127 km) via A-8
From Madrid 5 hr 38 min (573 km) via A-6
Area: 66 km² (municipality)
Coordinates: 43°34′09″N 6°56′37″W
Languages: Spanish, Asturian
Time: Central European UTC +1
See here best sea and ocean resorts of France and Spain (223 objects)