The town has been declared a historical-artistic complex since 1951.
Since 2014 the city has been a part of the network “The most beautiful villages of Spain“.
Tourism and main attractions
Pedraza Castle is a fortress built in the 13th century that was rebuilt in the 15th century by García Herrera. At the beginning of the 16th century, the Dukes of Frías, Constables of Castile, reformed the castle again, adding the great defensive wall attached to the keep and the outer wall equipped with gunboats and a drawbridge (now disappeared).
The castle has an imposing keep, moat, and is surrounded on most of its perimeter by a cliff.
The gate of the city is the only access to Pedraza, and therefore it is used as the only entrance and exit of the town. Its origins date back to the 11th century, and it was rebuilt in the 16th century by the lord of Pedraza Íñigo Fernández de Velasco, whose shield presides over the entrance.
The gates are made of black poplar wood and for several centuries they were closed at night, preventing the entry or exit of anyone except in an emergency.
Iglesia de San Juan: A church built in the Romanesque style, later remodeled with Baroque details.
The town’s prison, located next to the only access door to the town, dates from the 13th century, with subsequent reforms.
Castilian-style porticoed main square.
Every year in July, Pedraza holds the Concierto de las Velas festival during La Noche de las Velas. Residents of the town and surrounding cities light candles along the streets and residences. In the city center multiple concerts are held featuring varying types of Spanish classical music.
How to get to?
From Segovia 54 min (61.4 km) via N-110 and SG-P-2322
From Valladolid 1 hr 27 min (114 km) via A-601 and SG-205
From Madrid 1 hr 32 min (133 km) via A-1
Area: 31 sq. km (municipality)
Coordinates: 41°07′49″N 3°48′40″W
Time: Central European UTC +1