Blue Studebaker Light Six from 1923. 288ci L-Head Inline 6-Cylinder Engine, Single Updraft Carburetor, 50 HP at 2,000 rpm, 3-Speed Manual Transmission. This exhibit comes from The Salvador Claret Automobile Collection
Studebaker was an American wagon and automobile manufacturer based in South Bend, Indiana, with a building at 1600 Broadway, Times Square, Midtown Manhattan, New York City. Founded in 1852 and incorporated in 1868 as the Studebaker Brothers Manufacturing Company, the firm was originally a coachbuilder, manufacturing wagons, buggies, carriages and harnesses.
Studebaker entered the automotive business in 1902 with electric vehicles and in 1904 with gasoline vehicles, all sold under the name “Studebaker Automobile Company”. Until 1911, its automotive division operated in partnership with the Garford Company of Elyria, Ohio, and after 1909 with the E-M-F Company and with the Flanders Automobile Company. The first gasoline automobiles to be fully manufactured by Studebaker were marketed in August 1912. Over the next 50 years, the company established a reputation for quality, durability and reliability.
The Studebaker Light Six was a car built by the Studebaker Corporation of South Bend, Indiana from 1918 to 1927. It shared its wheelbase and standard equipment items with the Studebaker Light Four and was upgraded to the Studebaker Dictator in 1928.