Zhukovsky is a city in Moscow Oblast, Russia. It is located 20 km southeast of Moscow. It is a city of science and the city of regional subordination forms the city district of the same name as the only settlement in its composition.
Until 1947, it was a settlement and was called Stakhanovo.
Every odd year in August, Zhukovsky hosts the International Aviation and Space Salon (MAKS).
On April 23, 1947, by the Decree of the Presidium of the Supreme Soviet of the RSFSR, the village received the status of a city and the name – Zhukovsky – in honor of the great Russian scientist, the founder of modern aerodynamics Nikolai Yegorovich Zhukovsky.
In the early 90s, it was in Zhukovsky that the term “science city” was born. And on January 29, 2007, the Prime Minister of Russia, Mikhail Fradkov, signed a decree of the Government of the Russian Federation “On the assignment of the status of a science city of the Russian Federation to the city of Zhukovsky (Moscow Region).” Zhukovsky became the twelfth science city in Russia.
Today Zhukovsky is the center of Russian aviation science. Here are located:
FAA “Central Aerohydrodynamic Institute, named after A.I. Prof. N. E. Zhukovsky” – the state scientific center in aviation and space.
JSC “Flight Research Institute, named after M. M. Gromov,” is a state scientific center for researching and testing aviation equipment. On its territory are flight bases of the leading aviation design bureaus: Sukhoi, Ilyushin and Tupolev.
JSC “Research Institute of Instrument Engineering, named after. V.V. Tikhomirov” – a research institute for developing mobile medium-range anti-aircraft missile and aircraft weapon control systems.
JSC “Moscow Research Institute’ Agat'” – an institute for developing missile radar heads.
JSC “Research Institute of Aviation Equipment” is a research and production center in the research and development of complexes and systems of onboard aircraft equipment.
JSC “Experimental Machine-Building Plant, named after. V. M. Myasishchev” – experimental design work in aviation and astronautics.
JSC “Center for Scientific and Technical Services’ Dynamics'” is an enterprise providing domestic aviation simulator building services.
Museum of Air Building.
Zhukovsky Museum of Aviation and Conquest of Heaven.
Museum of Elephants – is located on the territory of the parish of the church of St. Panteleimon (a collection of figurines of elephants from different materials: stone, crystal, glass, clay, bones, porcelain, wood, wax, plastic and metal).
The building of the “Strela” theater (the former main building of the hospital for the workers of the Ryazan railway).
The building of the Bykovsky Zemstvo Hospital (1914).
Houses of the late 1940s and early 1950s, built by German prisoners after WW2.
The complex of the hospital-sanatorium town was built in 1913-1923 for employees of the Moscow-Ryazan Railway.
Building GBPOU MO Aviation College Named V. A. Kazakova.
Malaya Moscow Railway (final station, in Zhukovsky, is located next to the Otdykh railway platform).
Vertical aerodynamic pipe T-105 TsAGI.
The take-off and landing strip of the Gromov aviation institute is the longest in Europe.
The Otdykh platform of the Ryazan direction of the Moscow railway is in the city of Zhukovsky. Residents of the city also use the Ilyinskaya and Kratovo platforms, located in the villages of the same name adjacent to the city.
Pionerskaya (CHR) is located on the shores of Lake Kratovskoye. The Children’s Railway operates in the city. It runs through the central part of the city from the Yunost platform (ChRW) to the station.
On May 30, 2016, the International Airport opened. Thus, this airport has become the fourth in the Moscow air agglomeration.
Area: 47.24 km²
Coordinates: 55°35′50″N 38°07′13″E