Yakimanskaya embankment is a 500-meter-long embankment on the banks of the Vodootvodny Canal in Moscow. It is located between Krymskaya and Kadashevskaya embankments in the Yakimanka district of Moscow.
The name of the embankment comes from Bolshaya Yakimanka Street, which in turn bears the name of the chapel of Joachim and Anna of the Church of the Annunciation in Golutvinskaya Sloboda. The church was located at the intersection of Malaya Yakimanka Street and Yakimansky Proyezd, was built in 1493 and destroyed in 1969.
Since the 15th century, the Golutvinskaya Sloboda, the courtyard of the Golutvin Monastery, has been on the embankment site. Like other lowlands west of Yakimanka, the territory was subject to regular floods. To prevent them, the Vodootvodny Canal was built in the 1780s, and the Babiegorodskaya Dam in the 1830s.
In the 1930s, the embankment walls were faced with gray and pink granite. And at the end of the 20th century, factories and houses along Yakimanskaya Embankment were converted into offices, cafes and parking as part of the Golutvinskaya Sloboda reconstruction.
Some of the buildings of the 17th-19th centuries were preserved in the embankment area, including houses No. 4, building 3 and No. 2/12. In 2007, the pedestrian Patriarchal Bridge was extended across the Vodootvodny Canal to Yakimanskaya Embankment and Bolshaya Yakimanka.
In the area of the embankment, the factory’s main building from the end of 1899 has been preserved, where the Novy Dvor business center is currently located. The estate of the Rylov, Kotov, and Levin families of 1773 (No. 10/2) and the estate of the 19th century have been preserved. The embankment also houses the Italian Consulate and the Church of St. Nicholas the Wonderworker in Golutvin.
Nearest metro: Kropotkinskaya.