White Simca Berline Type 1000 from 1969, four cylinders, 944 cc, 45 HP, 130 km/h
The Simca 1000 is a small, rear-engined, four-door saloon which was manufactured by the French automaker Simca from 1961 to 1978.
Over the course of time, the 1000 (whose name was pronounced “mille” in French) was available in a number of versions featuring different equipment levels and variations of the original Type 315 engine.
In 1963 the poverty spec Simca 900 was released. In spite of the name change, it also had the 944 cc engine with 36 PS (26 kW), but the 1000 now gained three more horsepower. In 1966 only the 900C was available, equipped with the more powerful iteration of the 315. In late 1968 the low cost Simca 4 CV (marketed in France as the Simc’4) appeared, powered by a 777 cc unit providing 31 PS (23 kW) (DIN), and very competitively priced.
Power was later increased somewhat, to 33 PS (24 kW).
The 1000 engine was updated simultaneously, it was now called the type 349. At the top end of the range, the 1118 cc unit from the larger Simca 1100 was added for the 1969 model year (the Simca 1000 was marketed in the US as Simca 1118). The engine was again expanded to 1294cc in 1971 and fitted to 1000 in 1972.
Apart from the standard manual transmission, some versions could be fitted with a three-speed semiautomatic developed by Ferodo.
The car underwent a light facelift first shown at the 1968 Paris Motor Show (for the 1969 model year): new hubcaps, redesigned bumpers, bigger headlamps, and square taillights.
The high-specification versions were offered in the British market with a walnut dashboard decor. In 1977, the model was revised for the last time, gaining the new names of 1005/1006 (depending on the specifications), to put it in line with the newer Simca 1307 and its derivatives. Production stopped in 1978 without a direct replacement.