Vozdvizhenka Street (in 1935-1946 – Komintern Street; in 1946-1962 – Kalinina Street; from 1963 to the early 1990s – part of Kalinin Avenue) – a street in the Arbat district of the Central Administrative District of Moscow.
It runs from Manezhnaya Street to Arbat Gate Square and is located parallel to the Znamenka and Bolshaya Nikitskaya Streets. The numbering of the houses begins from Manezhnaya Street. Romanov, Bolshoy Kislovsky and Nizhny Kislovsky lanes rest on the even side of the street, and Starovagankovsky and Krestovozdvizhensky lanes on the odd side.
In the 13th-14th centuries, the “Volotsk road” passed on the site of modern Vozdvizhenka. This road provided a trade route from Veliky Novgorod through Volokolamsk to Moscow. Presumably, in 1367 a stone bridge was built across the Neglinnaya River and connected to the road.
In the XVIII century, after the transfer of the capital to St. Petersburg in 1713 and the decline in trade with Smolensk, the street became less busy but remained the place of residence of the Moscow nobility. The Exaltation of the Cross Monastery was its main object.
In the second half of the 18th century, Vozdvizhenka changed its appearance. In 1781, the ancient church of Demetrius of Thessalonica, which stood on the site of the gate of house No. 6 and was known from the first half of the 16th century, was demolished. Two buildings of the Catherine era have survived – the house of Lieutenant General PyotrTalyzin (No. 5) and the house of Count Nikolai Sheremetev (No. 8).
On the odd side:
No. 1 (Mokhovaya, 16; Manezhnaya, 13) – a house with a mezzanine and rounded corners of commerce of the adviser to the merchant of the first guild Alexander Torletsky. Erected after a fire in 1812.
No. 3 is the building of the Russian State Library, by architects Vladimir Gelfreikh and Vladimir Shchuko.
No. 5 – Talyzin’s house, built in 1787 according to the project of architect Matvey Kazakov for Lieutenant General PyotrTalyzin, hero of the Russian-Turkish war of 1768-1774.
No. 7/6. Building 1 – a residential building for the clergy of the Kremlin cathedrals with cells of the Exaltation of the Cross Monastery. It was built in the second half of the 18th century and the architect Ivan Lizogub designed it.
No. 9 – Volkonsky’s house (also known as Bolkonsky’s house, Grushetsky’s house). It was the city estate of the second half of the 18th century. Senator Vasily Grushetsky, a participant in the capture of Perekop, acquired it in 1774.
No. 11/14 – the administrative building of the Ministry of Defense of the USSR (1979-1987, architects M. V. Posokhin, Yu. V. Popov, N. G. Minaev), now the building of the General Staff of the RF Ministry of Defense.
On the even side:
No. 4 – house built in 1877-1902 (architect Vasily Shaub). As of 2018, the building houses the reception of the State Duma of the Russian Federation and the memorial museum-flat of Timiryazev functions.
No. 6/2. Building 1 is a courtyard residential outbuilding of the city estate of Kirill Razumovsky – Alexander. Sheremetev (1883, architect Vasily Belokryltsev).
No. 8 – the house of Razumovsky – Sheremetev (1790s). Until 1917, the building housed the Russian Hunting Club. Chess competitions were also held herein the early years of Soviet power.
No. 10 – Vozdvizhenka Center shopping and office complex (2008, architect Vladimir Kolosnitsyn). Built on the site of the Voentorg building demolished in 2003.
No. 12 – the city estate of the Matyushkins – Azanchevsky – Ustinov (1843-1849; restructuring in 1871, the 1960s), a valuable city-forming object.
No. 14 – the estate of Varvara Morozova (1886-1891, architects Roman Klein and Viktor Mazyrin).
No. 16 – the mansion of Arseny Morozov (1894-1899, architect Viktor Mazyrin).
No. 18/9 – the estate of Shakhovsky – Krause – Osipovsky (1783, repeatedly rebuilt during the 19th century by architect Nikolai Kozlovsky), an object of cultural heritage and regional significance.
Nearest metro: Arbatskaya (Filyovskaya Line), Arbatskaya (Arbatsko-Pokrovskaya line), Biblioteka imeni Lenina.
Nearest attractions: Arbat street, New Arbat Avenue, Church of Simeon Stolpnik on Povarskaya, Khudozhestvenny cinema, Arseny Morozov’s mansion, Shakhovsky – Krause – Osipovsky’s mansion, Shchusev State Museum of Architecture, Razumovsky-Sheremetev House, Russian State Library, Gogol boulevard.