Sanglas 350 A (1947). 

Sanglas was a Spanish motorcycle manufacturer which was founded in Barcelona (Poble Nou) in 1942 and ceased production in 1981.

Sanglas motorcycles had relatively large engines for their time, especially for Spain. The company was born with the intention of positioning itself as an alternative to brands like BMW, Zündapp or DKW to provide motor vehicles to official agencies.

The history of the brand dates back to 1942, three years after the Spanish Civil War, but the first documents on the formal sale of motorcycles dating from 1947. It was founded by two young students of engineering of Barcelone, brothers Javier and Martin Sanglas with financial back up by their father, a textile entrepreneur.

Sanglas models were a hybrid of English and German models. The chassis was based on the concept of BMW and the engine, 4-stroke single cylinder, OHV type, was inspired by the DKW brand. The first motorcycle had a displacement of 347,75 cc. and 14.4 HP power at 4,800 rpm. At the end of 1948 the company already had 100 employees and had manufactured 200 units. The first model, 500 cc with a rear frame revised to accommodate a swinging arm with two spring/hydraulic damper units, was launched in October 1952.

Moto Bassella museum, CataloniaPyreneesSpain

Read more: Transport and equipment ...