FN (Fabrique Nationale de Herstal) M-67, 500 cc (1926).
FN (Fabrique Nationale de Herstal) is a Belgian company established in 1889 to make arms and ammunition, and from 1901 to 1967 was also a motorcycle manufacturer. FN manufactured one of the world’s first four-cylinder motorcycles, was famous for the use of shaft drive in all models from 1903 to 1923, achieved success in sprint and long-distance motorcycle racing, and after 1945, also in motocross.
In December 1901, the first 133 cc single-cylinder motorcycle was built, followed in 1903 by a shaft-driven 188 cc single-cylinder motorcycle. In 1904 a 300 cc single-cylinder motorcycle was produced. The 1907 single-cylinder 244 cc FN motorcycle was the first bike with a multiple-ratio belt drive system, using a patented variable-size engine pulley. In 1909 the two-speed singles had camshafts to open the inlets, instead of the earlier “automatic” valves. Starting from 1912 the singles had a hand lever clutch and foot pedal rear brake.