Vinaròs (Sp. Vinaroz) is a municipality and town in Spain, the north of the province of Castellón, in the Valencian Community. The city belongs to the Bajo Maestrazgo region, of which it is the capital, and has about 29 000 inhabitants (INE 2020).
It is a fishing port and a popular sea resort destination.
It’s the northernmost resort of Costa del Azahar of the Mediterranean resorts of Spain.
It is located on the Mediterranean coast south of the mouth of the Cenia River. It is the northernmost coastal municipality of the Valencian Community, borders with Catalonia, Alcanar.
This town is accessed from Castellón and Tarragona by taking the AP-7 or the N-340 and from Teruel by the N-232
Two rivers pass through the city of Vinaròs: the Cenia River and the Cervol River.
Officially, the city bears the name of Vinaròs in Valencian. In Spanish the exonym Vinaroz is used. The place name derives from the Arabic إبن عَرُوس (ibn ʿarūs), “son of Arús”.
Tourism and main attractions
- The hermitage of the Virgen de la Misericordia (XV-XVIII centuries), dedicated to the patron saint of the city. It appears together with the co-patrons San Sebastián and San Roque, saints against the plague, although they are not holders of the hermitage as is believed. It is an old building, painted all white, located on a small hill known as El Puig, from which you can see a wide panoramic view.
- The hermitage of San Gregorio, a hundred meters from the city, a beautiful 18th century hermitage church, the work of Fray Pere Gonel, an Augustinian friar.
- The archpriest church of the Virgin of the Assumption (16th century). It has a beautiful Baroque doorway, being the Gothic-Renaissance temple.
- The church of San Agustín, which currently serves as the Municipal Auditorium.
- The remains of the Iberian settlement (7th and 1st centuries BC). They are in the hermitage.
- Old gothic town hall. Located on Calle Mayor.
- Town hall (17th century). Located in the Parish Square, in front of the archpriest church and the bell tower.
- The Municipal Market building (20th century). Its construction began in 1928, on the land occupied by a former Augustinian convent. The Market is located in Plaza San Agustín, in the center of the city.
- Bullring (La Plaza de Toros). In recent years it has hosted the Vinaroz Carnival Queens Gala, which has been presented by different celebrities, such as: Juan y Medio, Paz Padilla, Àngel Llàcer, Jorge Javier Vázquez, Bibiana Fernández, Amor Romeira, Tamara Gorro, etc.
- The Quince House. Currently it functions as a museum, where there are exhibited different tools, paintings and models related to the fishing of Vinaròs, as well as a small space dedicated to the dead and survivors of Vinaròs in the Mauthausen concentration camp (Austria), among others.
- The Monument to Costa Borrás. It is located in front of the sea, between the promenade and the street that bears its name.
- Modernist buildings, Casa Ángel Giner and Casa Sendra, both in the Valencian modernist style.
- Port. The first stone of the current port was laid on February 9, 1866, and inaugurated in 1875. In 1885 the extension of the anchorage was inaugurated. In the last century, the port was protected with the construction of a parallel wharf from Poniente and a transversal from Levante. In it we can see the fish market, where the fish and shellfish arrive for auction, and the lighthouse.
Fortín Beach and Fora Forat Beach. It runs from the pier to the mouth of the Cervol River. It is a wide beach of more than 800 m of golden sand that is integrated into the city, with characteristics that make it possible to practice any nautical sport.
Coves and small beaches. In the north and south of the city: Playa Sur, Ameradors, Playa de Els Cossis, Saldonar, Boverals, Barbiguera, El Triador and Cala Puntal.
Vinaros Weekly Market. Open on Thursday – 09.00 to 14.00.
Other markets: Paseo Fora del Forat, Vinaros Municipal Market, Plaza San Agustín.
There are no Michelin listed restaurants in the city.
The main car access road to Vinaroz is the N-340a, but there are other roads that connect the city with the rest of the country.
Vinaroz has an urban bus line that connects the city center with the north and south areas.
On the other hand, this same company offers other routes that connect Vinaroz with other Castellón municipalities.
Direct line: Castellón-Vinaroz Castellón de la Plana, Benicassim, Oropesa del Mar, Torreblanca, Alcalá de Chivert, Santa Magdalena de Pulpis, Benicarló y Vinaroz.
The Vinaroz railway station has a direct connection with different cities in the country, such as Barcelona, Tarragona, Castellón de la Plana, Valencia, Alicante, Cuenca, Albacete, Madrid, Córdoba and Seville, through different railway lines.
Area: 95.5 sq. km (municipality)
Coordinates: 40°28′00″N 0°28′00″E
Population: 28 800 (municipality)
Languages: Spanish, Valencian
Time: Central European UTC +1
See here best sea and ocean resorts of France and Spain (223 objects)