Vejer de la Frontera is a city and municipality located in the province of Cádiz, Spain (Andalusia). The nucleus of the town stands on a 200-meter-high mountain, on the banks of the Barbate River.
It’s a popular part of the Costa de la Luz of the Atlantic resorts of Spain.
Its historic walled center, which still preserves the castle and several significant churches, was declared a historical-artistic complex in 1976. Since 2014 the city has been a part of the network “The most beautiful towns in Spain“. Classic Spanish white village.
Tourism and main attractions
- Walls of Vejer
- Torre del Mayorazgo
- Castle of Vejer de la Frontera
- Church of the Divine Savior. It is a Mudejar and Gothic style church built on an old mosque
- Hermitage of Our Lady of Oliva. Hermitage from the 18th century, located on an old hermitage of Visigothic origin. In it you can see paintings by Juan Correa
- Roman aqueduct of Santa Lucia
The town has the Museum of Customs and Traditions of Vejer, in the old Convent of the Conceptionist Nuns.
In the nucleus of Montenmedio the space called Fundación NMAC is located, a kind of open-air museum, located in a Mediterranean forest, in which modern art is combined with nature. It houses works by artists of various nationalities.
The palace house of the Marqués de Tamarón houses the Vejer History and Archeology Museum.
- Loin in butter. It is one of the most characteristic products of the municipality. On October 10, 2015, its first world day was celebrated
- Flamenco style eggs
- Meat of the bull
- Dogfish in marinade
- Tuna with onion
How to get to?
From Seville 1 hr 47 min (159 km) via AP-4
From Cadiz 44 min (56.0 km) via A-48
From Madrid 6 hr 37 min (685 km) via A-66 and A-5
El Palmar de Vejer beach. Located in the small rural nucleus of the same name. It has various services and next to it stands one of the coastal watchtowers that are spread throughout the Cadiz coastline.
Mangueta Beach. It has been declared a protected area of territorial interest.
Area: 262 sq. km (municipality)
Coordinates: 36°15′08″N 5°57′48″W
Population: 12 622
Time: Central European UTC +1
See here best sea and ocean resorts of France and Spain (223 objects)