Vauxhall DY Light Six Saloon from 1937, six cylinders, 1530 cc, max. speed 129 km/h
The Vauxhall Light 6 is an automobile which was produced by Vauxhall in the United Kingdom from 1933 to 1938.
Based on the Vauxhall Cadet the new car had a smaller version of the existing engine created by lengthening the stroke to 100 mm and reducing the bore to 57 mm for the 1530 cc ASY and 61.5 mm for the 1781 cc ASX. With overhead valves and Zenith down-draught carburetor the smaller engine produced 36bhp at 4000 rpm and the 1781 cc produced 43bhp at 3500 rpm.
The power was transmitted to the rear axle via a single-plate clutch to a 4-speed gearbox, with “silent third” and synchromesh on 3rd & 4th gears. Twelve volt electrics were fitted.
The Cadet chassis was shortened by 6 in (150 mm) and extra cross-members added. Semi-elliptic leaf spring suspension was fitted to front and rear axles.
The factory standard bodies used many panels from the Cadet but the radiator was now sloped back slightly and the filler cap was under the bonnet. All the windows used “Triplex” toughened glass. The chassis was also supplied to external coachbuilders.
The launch price for the standard saloon was GBP195 allowing Vauxhall to advertise a 12hp car for less than GBP200. Unusually, the 14hp ASX was sold for the same price and became by far the better seller.
1933 was also the first year all GM vehicles were installed with optional vent windows which were initially called “No Draft Individually Controlled Ventilation” later renamed “Ventiplanes” which the patent application was filed on Nov. 28, 1932. It was assigned to the Ternstedt Manufacturing Company, a GM subsidiary that manufactured components for Fisher Body.