TU2

ТУ2 (Тепловоз узкоколейный (narrow-gauge diesel locomotive), 2-й тип (2-nd type)) is a diesel four-axle serial freight-passenger diesel locomotive, with direct current electric transmission, for mainline operation on railways, 750 mm gauge, USSR Ministry of Railways.

History

In the early 1950s, a need arose for a new narrow-gauge diesel locomotive, designed primarily to operate on the narrow-gauge railways of the Ministry of Railways, as well as on the main narrow-gauge roads of the forestry and peat industry with a large freight turnover. The Kaluga Machine-Building Plant began development.

A prototype of the diesel locomotive was manufactured in 1954. In the factory documentation it was initially designated as MEU-1 (motor locomotive with electric transmission, narrow-gauge type one). However, by the time it was handed over to the acceptance committee, it was renamed TU1, which was more in line with reality: it could not be classified as a motor locomotive, that is, locomotives with a power of up to 150 hp. With. with mechanical transmission. Moreover, it can even be considered the first narrow-gauge diesel locomotive in the USSR in the classical sense.

Two diesel locomotives were built. For testing, the first of them was transferred to the Shatura testing ground of the Central Research Institute of Ministry of Railways. Tests showed the machine was completely unsuitable for serial production. Poorly chosen parameters of the anti-compound windings of the main generator did not allow full use of the diesel power and achievement of the calculated traction characteristics. Thus, often a diesel locomotive could move a loaded train only at the highest positions of the controller.

In order to eliminate the identified shortcomings, a new main generator was developed specifically for this diesel locomotive, installed instead of the standard one used on TU1, and the brake system of the diesel locomotive also underwent minor modernization. The high-voltage chamber, located near the floor of the diesel room and therefore inconvenient to maintain, was significantly increased in size and moved to the side wall of the diesel locomotive behind the driver’s cabin. To achieve this, one window in the diesel room was eliminated between the cab window and the refrigeration section on the assistant driver’s side – the most noticeable external difference between the first diesel locomotives and the serial TU2.

In this form, in the fall of 1955, the Kaluga Machine-Building Plant began serial production of a diesel locomotive under the TU2 brand.

Assembly: Kaluga machine plant (USSR)

Years of production: 1955—1958

Production: 281 units

Length: 10,740 mm

Width: 2450 mm

Height: 3470 mm

Track gauge: 750 mm

Powerplant: 1Д12 (diesel)

Power: 300 HP

Max speed: 50 km/h

Weight: 32 t

Read more: History of railways with Alex Meltos ...