Trubnaya Square

Trubnaya Square is on the Boulevard Ring, the Central Administrative District of Moscow. Petrovsky Boulevard, Rozhdestvensky Boulevard, Neglinnaya Street, Tsvetnoy Boulevard and Trubnaya Street overlook the square.

From 1590 to 1770, the wall of the White City passed here, in which there was a blind tower – without a gate. Near the tower, a hole was made for the Neglinnaya River flowing here, covered with a grate. The people called this hole “pipe,” and the market spread out on the outer side of the wall – Trubny. In summer, the square often looked like an impenetrable swamp. Pancake roller coasters were arranged here in winter, and fisticuffs were organized. In 1770, the wall of the White City was dismantled, and the Boulevard Ring arose in its place. In 1817, Neglinka was enclosed in an underground collector (pipe), after which, in the place where the river crossed the ring of boulevards, a vast area was formed, which received the name Trubnaya. In 1824, the square was raised with a mound of earth about one meter and paved.

In the southwestern part of the square, at the corner of Neglinnaya Street and Petrovsky Boulevard, there is the former Hermitage restaurant and hotel building, built in 1864. Currently, the building houses the School of Modern Play theater (house No. 29/14).

Until the middle of the 19th century, the southeastern part of the square was occupied by vegetable gardens of the nearby Mother of God-Nativity Monastery. In 1865, a two-story house was built here, and cheap apartments were rented to students. The house was repeatedly rebuilt, and it was demolished at the beginning of the 21st century.

Now a new quarter has been built here, combining pseudo-old style with modernity, called Neglinnaya Plaza.

The northwestern corner at the junction of Petrovsky and Tsvetnoy boulevards is built up with the same type of merchant houses of the late 19th century pressed against each other.

In the north-eastern corner of the square between Tsvetnoy Boulevard and Trubnaya Street, there was a three-story house of Vnukov, on the first floor of which, in the middle of the 19th century, there was a tavern “Crimea,” which had a bad reputation as a hangout where the society of the city “bottom” gathered.

In the 20th century, the tavern was closed. In 1981, the Vnukov house was demolished. In its place, the House of Political Education of the Moscow City Committee of the CPSU was built, which in 1991 was transformed into the Parliamentary Center of Russia. In 2004, it was, in turn, a wholly demolished, multifunctional complex of administrative and residential buildings “The Legend of Tsvetnoy” was designed.

Nearest metro: Trubnaya, Tsvetnoy Boulevard.

See more streets and squares in Moscowmonuments of Moscowarchitecture of Moscow.

Read more: Tourism in Russia ...