Transall C-160R (64-GL): military transport aircraft
In the late 1950s, a requirement arose to replace the piston-engined Nord Noratlas transports operated by the air forces of both France (Armée de l’Air) and Germany (Luftwaffe). Keen to encourage industrial co-operation between the two countries, as had happened under a previous arrangement in which Noratlases for German service had been built under license by Weser Flugzeugbau, France and Germany signed an agreement for the development of a Noratlas successor on 28 November 1957.
The Italian government also became involved in the project early on to meet their own requirements, however Italy’s participation in the fledgling program was soon terminated in favour of the smaller and locally-built Fiat G.222.
The consortium, “Transporter-Allianz” or Transall, was formed in January 1959 between the French company Nord Aviation and the German companies Weser Flugzeugbau (which became Vereinigte Flugtechnische Werke (VFW) in 1964) and Hamburger Flugzeugbau (HFB) to design and build the new transport.
The new aircraft was required to carry a 16,000 kilograms (35,000 lb) cargo over a range of 1,720 kilometres (930 nmi; 1,070 mi) or a load of 8,000 kg (18,000 lb) over a range of 4,540 km (2,450 nmi; 2,820 mi) and be able to operate out of semi-prepared airstrips.
Made in France and Germany
First flight: 1963
Crew: 3 persons
Motor: 2 × Rolls-Royce RTy.20 Tyne Mk 22
Power: 12,200 HP
Speed: 550 km/h (277 kn)
Range: 1,853 km
Ceiling: 8,230 m
Capacity: 16,000 kg
Weight: 27,782 kg