The white Mercedes-Benz W136 Type 170 V Combi. Production: 1942-1951, combi, engine: four cylinders, 1767 cc, 45 HP
The Mercedes-Benz W136 was Mercedes-Benz’s main line of inline-four cylinder motorcars from the mid-1930s into the 1950s. The model 170 V made its public debut as successor to the W15 Typ 170 in February 1936. Between 1936 and 1939 it was Mercedes’ top selling model.
Between 1936 and 1942 over 75,000 were built making it by far the most popular Mercedes-Benz model up till that point.
Enough of the W136’s tooling survived Allied bombing during World War II (or could be recreated post-war) for it to serve as the foundation upon which the company could rebuild. By 1947 the model 170 V had resumed its place as Mercedes’ top-seller, a position it held until 1953.
The “V” in the 170 V’s name was an abbreviation of “Vorn” (front), added to differentiate it from the contemporary rear-engined Mercedes-Benz 170H (W28) (“H” for “Heck”, rear) which used the same four cylinder 1697cc engine, but positioned at the back of the car.
The Aguinaga Museum of Mercedes-Benz