The Torre de Claramunt Castle (cat. El Castell de la Torre de Claramunt), initially built in the 11th century, is a large house that was extended in several phases, the most important one was carried out by Joan de Claramunt in the 16th century (1565). Located in Barcelona province, Catalonia, Spain.
It started with the primitive watch tower erected at the end of the 11th century on one of the ends of the castle of Claramunt territory. It was a fortified and advanced tower that was built by the family of the House of Claramunt for the surveillance and control of the Carmen stream valley and the road to the Penedès. It is declared a cultural asset of national interest. It is preserved in a good state, and used as a restaurant. The current building is a magnificent fortified 17th century stone mansion with three floors, rectangular windows with stone lintels and a voussoir portal. In 1561, as stated on the key of the courtyard portal, Joan de Claramunt turned the castle into a fortified house, which corresponds to the current building, with the ground floor and three upper floors. The windows, with stone lintels, are rectangular and the doorway has a voussoir, above which there is the Claramunt coat of arms (flowered hill), which also appears in an outer corner of the castle. Other shields, in various locations over the castle courtyard and the main hall, feature the heraldic signs of the later lords: Espuny, Agulló, Pinós and Sentmenat. The complex is crowned with teeth like shaped battlements.
The Claramunt lineage arrived in this area from France in 814 to help Count Ramon Berenguer of Barcelona in their fight against Agarens. Specifically, the head of the lineage Bernat Amat de Claramunt. They built their main castle where today there is the village La Pobla de Claramunt (which they have named), the castle of Claramunt. In a part of the territory that they controlled they have also built a watchtower with adjoined territory which gave the beginning to the present municipality of the Torre de Claramunt.
It appears that in 1147, two brothers of the Claramunt lineage, Berenguer and Pere Bernat, donated to the Monastery of Sant Cugat del Vallès an allod of a mountain located inside the territory, belonging to the castle of Claramunt, in return they had to build a fortress against the Saracens. Initially (1157) it was used as a fortified tower located at the end of Claramunt territory.
At the end of the 11th century, a watchtower was erected at one of the ends of the castle of Claramunt territory, which, having ceased to have military use, became the lords residence.
In 1306, Berenguer de Claramunt sold to Cardona the high command of the castle of Claramunt and in 1318 the tower of Claramunt, although the family continued to live there, recognizing the rights of the viscounts of Cardona that, in this way, strengthened their hegemony over the Conca Òdena.
Asbert de Claramunt, married to Beatriu de Pallars, was appointed by Cardona a governor of the Anoia lands, in 1348. His descendant Joan de Claramunt and de Rajadell delivered in 1463, on behalf of the Cardona, the keys of the castle of the Torre de Claramunt to Joan de Serrallonga, representative of Igualada, by order of the general deputation.
In the year 1530 the Claramunt bought from the dukes of Cardona the jurisdiction and the lordship of the territory of the Tower of Claramunt. Francesc de Claramunt i Caçador obtained in 1620, as his ancestors, the position of governor of the Conca d’Òdena, granted by Cardona. A descendant of his, Josep de Ribera and Claramunt, Austrian, received the title of Count of Claramunt (1708) from King Archduke Carlos III and was exiled to Burgos by Philip V until 1725.
The castle was burned in 1722.
Already in modern times, Josep Maria de Febrer Calvo Encalada, marques of Villa Palma de Encalada, descendant of the house of Claramunt and baron of the Tower of Claramunt, together with his wife Matilde Sanllehy Alrich (sister of Domingo Sanllehy Alrich, mayor of Barcelona) made great progress on reconstruction of the castle and their son Jose Maria de Febrer and Sanllehy, also the Marquess of Villa Palma de Encalada, continued it.
José Antonio de Febrer and Monforte, son of the marquess was a mayor of the Torre de Claramunt and resided in the castle of the Torre de Claramunt with his wife Margarita de los Rios Magriña and their six children, who were the co-owners of the Castle until their death in 1976.
The head of the Clararamunt lineage is currently José María de Febrer and Los Rios, the firstborn and the head of the family. He asked for the rehabilitation of the title of the count of Claramunt in 1985, in a file of best succession to the title, which has not yet been closed, despite the existence of a report of the “Ministry of Justice” and two reports of the” Council of State” requesting the rehabilitation of the title of his ancestor in his favor.
Coordinates: 41° 32′ 07″ N, 1° 39′ 39″ E