The Château de Machy is located in the town of Chasselay, in France in the Rhône department, 30 minutes by car from Lyon.
The castle is made up of different buildings without unity. The main building facing the plain has a turret with a staircase, as was customary in the seventeenth century, the old windows having made way for bays. A wing in return of square was added in the following century. Contains a large living room with French ceiling and painted door tops.
The chapel, which forms the corner, is bordered to the west by a balustraded porch added by Antoine Morand de Jouffrey who also had another wing built to the east and outbuildings to the south.
A dovecote is set up below the castle.
In the Middle Ages, the stronghold of Machy was a large agricultural estate. In 1556, J. Senneton bequeathed to his wife a group of houses called the “castelet”, which would be located on the site of the current castle. Construction of the castle as it is now started in the 17th century.
The castle was acquired in 1778 by Jean Antoine Morand de Jouffrey (1727-1794) for his son Antoine Morand de Jouffrey, then aged 18. His family kept the property until the third quarter of the twentieth century, when Count Pierre Morand de Jouffrey left it and in 1978, the Cluny Cultural Office acquired the estate.
Since 1996, the castle has hosted the Compagnie du Théâtre de l’Arc-en-Ciel.
Address: 1044 Chemin de Machy, 69380 Chasselay, France
GPS coordinates: 45° 51′ 45″ N, 4° 45′ 33″ E