The Lobanov-Rostovsky House (a house with lions) is an architectural monument, a former noble residence, erected in 1817-1820 for Prince Alexander Yakovlevich Lobanov-Rostovsky according to the project of Auguste Montferrand in the style of classicism.
The building is triangular in plan. Its main façade, facing Admiralteisky Prospekt, is decorated with an 8-columned Corinthian portico. The portico rises above the protruding arcade. Ramps (sloping ascents) made it possible for carriages to drive directly to the main entrance. The lions standing on the sides of the entrance are carved from white Carrara marble by the sculptor P. Triscorni.
Hotel “Lion’s palace”
In 2013, the renovated hotel came under the control of the Canadian hotel net Four Seasons Hotels and Resorts under the name Lion Palace (“lion’s palace”).
Number of stars – 5 stars (*****)
The Palace Hotel is a direct neighbor of St. Isaac’s Cathedral: the distance between them is only a hundred meters! The following attractions are also incredibly close:
Monument “The Bronze Horseman“;
5-10 minutes walk separates the “House with Lions” from Nevsky Prospekt with all its restaurants, cafes, shops and memorable places. The famous Mariinsky Theatre will require a promenade, approximately equal to twenty minutes walk.
Transport and how to get there?
Transfers to/from the airport are available for an additional fee. Like any luxury hotel, Four Seasons has its own taxi service, however, guests note its unjustified high cost and recommend using mobile applications to call taxi.
The distance to the nearest Vitebsk railway station is approximately 2 km, to the Moscow railway station – 3 km. Pulkovo International Airport is 15 km away.