The Temple of the Icon of the Mother of God, “Joy of All Who Sorrow” (Savior of the Transfiguration) on Bolshaya Ordynka (Grieving Church) is an Orthodox church in the Yakimanka district in Moscow, on Bolshaya Ordynka Street. It belongs to the Moskvoretsky deanery of the Moscow Diocese of the Russian Orthodox Church.
On the temple site in the 16th century, there was a wooden church of the Monk Varlaam Khutynsky in the Horde (mentioned in the annals under 1571). In 1683-1685, a stone church was built, which was called Preobrazhensky.
In 1812, the temple was damaged by fire. In 1823-1836, the old church of the 17th century was replaced by a rotunda with an elevated dome designed by the architect Osip Bove. A new building in the Russian Empire style was erected at the expense of the merchants Kumanins and A. A. Dolgov.
The building of the temple is made in the form of a cylindrical rotunda with Ionic porticos. The floor is covered with cast-iron slabs made according to Bove’s sketches. Outside, it is decorated with medallions. An empire-style iconostasis is installed in the church.
The northern and southern facades of the refectory are decorated with four-columned Ionic porticos. The bell tower has three cylindrical tiers, decreasing in diameter from bottom to top. It is crowned with a dome and a cupola with a cross.
The temple is surrounded by a cast-iron fence created at the beginning of the 19th century. Next to it are the House of the Clergy (mid-18th century) and the Almshouse (1764).
Working days: Mon-Fri 07:30–19:00; Sat 08:00–20:00; Sun 06:30–19:00.
Address: Bolshaya Ordynka, 20, building 10, Moscow.
Nearest metro: Tretyakovskaya, Novokuznetskaya.