The largest temple of Zamoskvorechye. The temple, in the name of the Holy Martyr Clement, Pope of Rome, is a temple of the Moscow city diocese of the Russian Orthodox Church, located in Moscow at the intersection of Klimentovsky Lane and Pyatnitskaya Street. Belongs to the Moskvoretsky deanery of the Moscow city diocese.
The main throne is consecrated in honor of the Lord’s Transfiguration, and the church’s second name is the Church of the Transfiguration of the Savior.
For the first time, the temple was mentioned in written sources under this name in 1612, in connection with the events of the Moscow battle between the Russian militias and the Polish-Lithuanian army of Hetman Khodkevich.
The first stone church on this site dates to 1657. The temple was rebuilt and consecrated in 1720, and in 1756-1758, a refectory and a bell tower were added. In 1762, the parishioners received permission to demolish the main volume of the old church. By 1769, the five-domed Baroque church, which has survived to this day, was completed at the expense of the merchant K. M. Matveev. The authorship of the building has not been established.
With the financial support of the Moscow government, the restoration was conducted, which was completed in 2014.
Working days: daily, 08:30–19:00.
Address: Russia, Moscow, Pyatnitskaya street, 26, building 1.
Nearest metro: Novokuznetskaya, Tretyakovskaya.