The Stanislavski’s Museum is a memorial museum in Moscow dedicated to the life and work of director Konstantin Stanislavski. The institution’s opening occurred in 1948 at the initiative of Stanislavsky’s wife, actress Maria Lilina, and the eldest daughter, Kira Alekseeva. The Museum is housed in a 17th-century mansion on Leontievsky Lane, where the director lived from 1921 to 1938. It is part of the Museum of the Moscow Art Academic Theater (MKhAT). The exposition includes antique furniture, stage costumes, photographs and archival documents.
Konstantin Sergeyevich Stanislavski was a seminal Soviet-Russian theater practitioner. He was widely recognized as an outstanding character actor, and the many productions he directed garnered him a reputation as one of the leading theater directors of his generation. However, his principal fame and influence rest on his “system” of actor training, preparation, and rehearsal technique.
Stanislavski (his stage name) performed and directed as an amateur until he was 33, when he co-founded the world-famous Moscow Art Theatre (MAT) company with Vladimir Nemirovich-Danchenko, following a legendary 18-hour discussion. By the MAT, Stanislavski was instrumental in promoting the new Russian drama of his day—principally the work of Anton Chekhov, Maxim Gorky, and Mikhail Bulgakov—to audiences in Moscow and around the world; he also staged acclaimed productions of a wide range of classical Russian and European plays. Its influential tours of Europe (1906) and the US (1923–24), and its landmark productions of The Seagull (1898) and Hamlet (1911–12), established his reputation and opened new possibilities for the art of the theater.
Working hours: Wed 12:00–19:00; Thu, Fri 13:00–21:00; Sat, Sun 11:00–18:00
Address: Leontievsky per., 6, building 1, Moscow.