St. Petersburg State University of Economics (SPbSUE) is a higher educational institution in St. Petersburg, one of the largest educational and scientific centers in Russia. It’s one of the leaders of classical economic education in Russia. Created as a result of the merger of St. Petersburg State University of Economics and Finance (FINEK), St. Petersburg State University of Engineering and Economics (INZHECON) and St. Petersburg State University of Service and Economics (SPbGUSE). Ranked 37th in the Russian University Rankings in 2022.
Faculties and institutes
Faculty of Economics and Finance
Faculty of Humanities
Faculty of Law
Faculty of Informatics and Applied Mathematics
Faculty of Business, Customs and Economic Security
Faculty of Service, Tourism and Hospitality
Faculty of part-time and extramural forms of education
Institute of Additional Professional Education – “Higher School of Economics”
Institute of Economic Security
Institute of pre-university training
Institute for Training and Certification of Scientific and Pedagogical Personnel
International Institute of Economics and Politics (IIEP)
The main building of the university is the building of the Assignation Bank of the Russian Empire, designed by the architect Giacomo Quarenghi in 1783-1799.
Architects: Quarenghi G.
Year built: 1783-1790
The design of the Assignation Bank building was approved on May 5, 1783. According to a number of researchers, the work on the Assignation Bank building was the first for Quarenghi in St. Petersburg. The building was made from 1783 to 1790. In 1843 the Assignation Bank was closed. In 1849, the State Russian Bank began its work here. In June 1930, the Leningrad Institute of Finance and Economics was opened in the bank building (currently (2015) – St. Petersburg State University of Economics).
The central three-story building is located in the depths of the main courtyard. The yard is formed by a horseshoe-shaped building of bank storerooms. The pantries were connected with the central building by open colonnades-galleries.
In the second half of the XIX century the building was restored, while the storeroom building was erected on the side of the Griboyedov Canal, and galleries were built on.